SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked the appointment for my 2016 XC90 which is nearly four years old now, and has a hair under 38K miles on it. Did it via my dealer's website, which recognized my specific vehicle, which has been in there for services in the past, so you'd *think* they know the basic details of my vehicle. Apparently the car came with 3 free annual services, but now I'm beyond that. Okay. The cost the website quoted for this annual service which as I understand it includes an oil change, new air filter, and a bunch of inspections (none of which to me sound all that intensive) was around $450, which seemed high to me, but went in for the appointment anyway.

Took it in this morning, and after the service coordinator entered all of my info, quoted me $750 for the annual service, which still only included the same items. I suppose it's possible, now that I have read some of the latest threads, this could be due to the labor costs of applying SW upgrades, but the coordinator didn't say anything about that.

I was pretty floored, that what to me is debateably mostly work you could get done at JiffyLube for $50 max, my dealer service department wants to charge $750 for.

I was also thinking of getting new tires, and so I asked for a quote on that... it was around $1000 (fairly reasonably) but they wanted to charge $159 for alignment when they did the install.

I asked the coordinator to walk me through this, and help me understand why it was so much. His answers, to me, did not seem very reasonable or detailed and didn't reassure me about the value of having the service done there. So I walked out.

Here are my questions:
  • Is this just how it is at any Volvo dealer?
  • Once you get beyond the free annual maintenances, are you better off going elsewhere to get mostly the same service for what would have to be a lot lower cost?
  • Is this just one of the special features of owning a Volvo and I should have known this before I purchased the XC90, my first Volvo?
  • Is it likely I'm just getting jerked around by this particular dealer and I should try others?
  • Is there some package I could by from Steingold that would help, at this point in my vehicle ownership?

Any and all perspectives are welcome. Just trying to wrap my head around this and figure out the best course of action for this and future maintenance of my XC90 -- which, by the way, I still love and have few if any problems with over the course of ownership.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ask them to quote the maintenance schedule items as stand-alone, not the package. It should be cheaper by a good amount - at least it is here in Fort Worth.
But yes, maintenance at the dealer is expensive. 40k service cost me ~$250 for oil change plus filters. 50k service was $108 as it was just oil change.

If you have some warranty items, getting those fixed plus the oil change and free loaner make it more tolerable if you're short on time, like I am.

You can always change the air filters yourself for cost of parts and a few minutes. Alignment costs are in line with costs here. 21" tires are considerably more expensive, so I assume you're on 20's.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
If you plan to keep the car long term, buy the Prepaid Maintenance package. Mine cost me $1900 for included services up to 100,000 miles. Which comes down to around $270/service. No need to pay anything at any of the dealer visits.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
If it's Jim Fisher Volvo the website does indeed price the 40k at $400. I would make them honor that.

That's a fair price as far as dealerships go. It includes the cabin filter and brake flush as well as the items you mentioned.

Their alignment price sounds fair as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's Jim Fisher Volvo the website does indeed price the 40k at $400. I would make them honor that.

That's a fair price as far as dealerships go. It includes the cabin filter and brake flush as well as the items you mentioned.

I have been going to Herzog-Meier, and when I brought up the fact that the price quoted online was $400, they basically said "well, that's the general price, but every vehicle has different needs/attributes" which sounded sort of like BS to me... but i guess I should have pushed harder to find out what the different was between the service quoted and what they said they would provide. Maybe I'll call Jim Fisher.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you plan to keep the car long term, buy the Prepaid Maintenance package. Mine cost me $1900 for included services up to 100,000 miles. Which comes down to around $270/service. No need to pay anything at any of the dealer visits.
Can I still buy that this far into ownership? Is Steingold online the best place to get that?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Can I still buy that this far into ownership? Is Steingold online the best place to get that?
Of course. I bought it last month and I'm currently at 38k miles. Personally, my dealership beat Steingold Volvo's Prepaid maintenance plan rate by a decent margin, so I went with my dealer. I think Steingold is $2260 for 40k miles to 100k miles of included services. You can shop around your local dealership and see if they beat Steingold's price or if you wanna avoid any hassle, just buy it from Steingold's website. Either way should be good compared to paying cash for individual services, which, I think, is a complete rip-off by most of these premium-dealerships.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

I have been going to Herzog-Meier, and when I brought up the fact that the price quoted online was $400, they basically said "well, that's the general price, but every vehicle has different needs/attributes" which sounded sort of like BS to me... but i guess I should have pushed harder to find out what the different was between the service quoted and what they said they would provide. Maybe I'll call Jim Fisher.
I don't see any prices quoted on their website, which is strange.

There isn't any variance in the 40k on any XC90, so an accurate price should be no problem. I don't buy their explanation.

·
Banned
11 Posts

I don't see any prices quoted on their website, which is strange.

There isn't any variance in the 40k on any XC90, so an accurate price should be no problem. I don't buy their explanation.
You can buy them easily online here: https://vip.steingold.com/product/Volvo-VIP-Prepaid-Maintenance-Plan-Online/78?cp=true&sbp=false

Use promocode SWEDESPEED for $100 discount

The above plans are good for 40,000 miles or less - otherwise, just call them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts