SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states. Just want to be prepared when the time comes. Is this a one and done repair?

Thx

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
DIY cost of slave + fluid + your blood

so like $250 + a few gallons

+$70 if you don't have the thing to hold up your engine
+$300 if you don't have tools. This is an investment though.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Dealer cost(for my mothers R lol)

Replacement of clutch, flywheel and slave +labor = 1600$

If not repaired ^ lol

I have a guy that will do it for 500$ labor if I bring him clutch flywheel and slave kit

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
$300ish for clutch, $200ish for slave, $20 for brake fluid, $7-800ish for flywheel... ends up being $2k+ in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Is this a one and done repair?

Thx
For the most part it is "one and done".

Volvo changed the venting on the slave to retard engagement, which helped to protect other components from drive line shock.

In my case the failure of the slave was the slave piston itself, and had nothing to do with venting. I also believe Volvo changed vendors for the slave.

I have about 100K miles since I changed mine, and it was changed at about 100k also. Car is an 05 V70R now with 200K.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the most part it is "one and done".

Volvo changed the venting on the slave to retard engagement, which helped to protect other components from drive line shock.

In my case the failure of the slave was the slave piston itself, and had nothing to do with venting. I also believe Volvo changed vendors for the slave.

I have about 100K miles since I changed mine, and it was changed at about 100k also. Car is an 05 V70R now with 200K.
200k is encouraging for sure. I'm buying an 06 with 70k on it. Can you upgrade to a more stout version or is OEM the only way to go?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I have 115K on all original clutch and slave components. No idea if I got the "improved" setup from the factory or not...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
200k is encouraging for sure. I'm buying an 06 with 70k on it. Can you upgrade to a more stout version or is OEM the only way to go?
Regarding the slave cylinder, I know of no aftermarket vendor.

In regard to other friction components of the clutch there are aftermarket. Personally I am a fan of OEM, which is Fitchel and Sachs, however others swear by alternatives.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

In regard to other friction components of the clutch there are aftermarket. Personally I am a fan of OEM, which is Fitchel and Sachs, however others swear by alternatives.
volvo clutches are made by LUK...

edit// looks like sachs = Luk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have 115K on all original clutch and slave components. No idea if I got the "improved" setup from the factory or not...
I am at 129k on original parts with no problems so far on my 05.

As an aside, my 94 accord still has original clutch with 290k on the odometer. I even had NOS in it years ago and it just won't die.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
There isn't really a need, if yours dies you'll get the "improved" part replacement from Volvo. I think '07 and some '06 got the improved part from day one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
SR 04 MT with 124k miles, about to do this.
Looks like people are saying 1500-2000 for labor.
What else should be done while in there?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
SR 04 MT with 124k miles, about to do this.
Looks like people are saying 1500-2000 for labor.
What else should be done while in there?
CBV and associated turbo lines are easy to get to with the transmission out. Also the collar on the angle gear is probably very easy to get to doing this. Might want to replace that if it's never been done.

I'm planning on doing single mass flywheel conversion, clutch and slave replacement, brake fluid flush and bleed, Viva CBV installation, and collar gear replacement all at the same time. Rather get it all over and done with in one big hit.

No issues with the slave or angle gear at 89k, but my DM flywheel is knocking. The clutch does slip occasionally when I'm really pushing it at highway speeds and full 20lbs boost. As soon as the clutch, collar, or slave goes, it's all getting replaced.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Install new stock tranny torque mount and new poly upper engine mounts to reduce play in engine. Forget who it was but engine play been posted here as key cause in slave cyl flex hose to fail ...and it sounds logical to me so I did it! the old mounts were trashed and glad I did. Not sure about new design improvements but I hope the old stock slave should last 80-100k vs 40-70k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts