SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen (by using the search function, of course) a recommended gap of between .028-.032 for the OEM plug.<p>However, I mentioned to Lucky that I had mine gapped at .030 (which I thought was a safe bet, right in the middle), and he was surprised. He said I should take it down to at least .026, and maybe even .024. Now, I'm not questioning Lucky at all, he knows what he's talking about, but for the sake of diagnosing a shuddering problem, what are you guys running as far as plug gap on OEM plugs?<p>Thanks,<p>Joe

·
Registered
751 Posts
Re: Correct spark plug gap on 2004 R OEM plugs??? (JoeLvo)

I just put new stock plugs in on Sunday. I used a gap of .028 and the car runs perfect.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Whats a good gap if your modded? <p>FMIC/3.5"DP/exhaust/ECU etc..?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Correct spark plug gap on 2004 R OEM plugs??? (llabahn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>llabahn</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just put new stock plugs in on Sunday. I used a gap of .028 and the car runs perfect.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Thanks llabahn. I'm stock, so I really don't understand the IPD recomendation of moving to a .026 or tighter gap. I *was* at .028 all around, and it was stuttering. So, if the spark was getting blown out, then .026 would make sense, but I'm stock, so I can't see that being the case.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>chinaonnitrous1</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats a good gap if your modded? <p>FMIC/3.5"DP/exhaust/ECU etc..?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Are you misfiring at all? What is your gap set at now?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Re: (JoeLvo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JoeLvo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Are you misfiring at all? What is your gap set at now?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I just remember checking them when I got the package to make sure they were equal. They were within spec, so I just put them in.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

But are you misfiring? If they were OEMs then they were pre-gapped to .028. If you're running fine, I'd say cool. If, on the other hand, you're noticing <i>any</i> hiccups or stuttering in the powerband, you could try reducing the gap by .002 at a time, so the 1st adjustment would be setting them all at .026.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Geez, I researched about the gap pretty good before I changed them and now I wish I went with .026. Its only going to get wider with wear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: (llabahn)

i just did plugs on my 2006 last week at .31....car runs great...the stock plugs were @ .34 with 50k on them.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (llabahn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>llabahn</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Geez, I researched about the gap pretty good before I changed them and now I wish I went with .026. Its only going to get wider with wear.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Don't sweat it llabahn, unless you are currently misfiring, you should be fine. After all, if they wear to the point that you *do* start misfiring, it is probably time to change them anyway, right? <p>I'm going to go down to .026 as soon as my car cools down. But that is just so I can rule the plugs out definitively. I doubt they are the root cause of my misfire, although everything points there.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (my2ndimport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>my2ndimport</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just did plugs on my 2006 last week at .31....car runs great...the stock plugs were @ .34 with 50k on them.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I'm @ .030 now, and I bet if whatever was causing the stutter wasn't there, that it would run great too. Because I'm stock (tune, that is). But if you're tuned and pushing 20psi, you should be having difficulty with blow-out. At least that's what teh interwebs have led me to believe (3 solid days of scouring the net regarding R plugs). <p>But I think on a stock R, in good working order, I'd like to try .032. FWIW, if anything.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

When I bought plugs from BVV about 1 month ago, they were gapped out of the packaging at .30-.32. I regapped to .28 because I'm ECU modded. Car runs GREAT. If you're ECU modded, regap lower than stock for sure. If not modded, I'd leave it alone with the OEM gap from the manufacturer.<p>They will widen with mileage - probably like .02 more over 60K miles like another stated above. So with 60K miles on regapped new plugs at .28, they will probably go to .30 over the real life of the plug, which is within OEM spec - what you're trying to achieve over the life of plugs. I would DEFINITELY change these plugs every 60K miles . Perhaps even every 45K miles. Not the 90K or 100K VOLVO "recommends". Thats madness. My plugs were DONE when I looked at them and that was at 60K miles.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Here are the factory specs for reference. <p>Spark plugs<br>P/N272313-8 or equivalent<br>- Gap 0.028- 0.032 in. 0.7-0.8 mm<br>- Tightening torque 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)<p>Some of you have been stating numbers way too big, like .28 or .31, and I know you guys know what you are talking about and just typed it in wrong. I just don't want someone trying to get started with doing their own maintenance to try to gap that big and mess up their plugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts