SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been gathering the parts for a major suspension refresh on my R. My purchase list has been:
• New 4Cs
• New front HD Spring Seats
• IPD F&R Track-Spec Sways
• IPD F&R HD End Links
• Front OEM Lower Control Arms
• Front OEM Ball Joints
• Eibach Springs

I've been reviewing all the helpful SS postings on DIY methods for the various replacements. I am encouraged that I can do the work myself with the help of a friend. I obviously don't want to screw it up, nor do I want to get to the end of a weekend and have the caR still apart. So I thought I'd verify my plan of attack to make sure I am thinking straight and form a checklist for the overall project. Please let me know if you think my plan is out of order or incomplete.

Start with front
1. Remove the end links
2. Remove both strut assemblies
3. Remove the sway bar
4. Remove the LCA
5. Remove the ball joint
6. Install the new sway bar
7. Install the new ball joint
8. Install the new LCA
9. Dismantle the old strut assembly to get the old dust cap, nuts, and washers
10. Install the new springs and new spring seats onto the new struts
11. Install the new strut assemblies
12. Install the new endlinks

Go to rear
1. Remove the end links
2. Remove both struts assemblies
3. Remove the old sway bar
4. Install the new sway bar
5. Dismantle the old strut assembly to get the old support plates, spring seats, anchors and caps
6. Install the new springs onto the new struts
7. Install the new strut assemblies
8. Install the new endlinks

Finish with SUM Recalibration and a 4 wheel alignment and then drink a bunch of Lagunitas.

Do I have it right?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I do beleive that you will need to drop the sub frame to R&R the front sway bar, that is a step you should account for

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I do beleive that you will need to drop the sub frame to R&R the front sway bar, that is a step you should account for
that is correct.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Lagunitas... Good man!

I would also replace the upper strut bearings. Mine were bad and causing noises after I had replaced everything else.

·
Registered
998 Posts
+2

Let us know what your total cost of this refresh is. Might be worth a sticky. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would only replace those if the balljoints are bad. Add alignment to the list if you do though. Although you may want to get an alignment done regardless after the rest to be on the safe side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts