SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: So we have made our flight bookings (delivery date of May 22), and Corporate Travel, who were GREAT in helping us with our complicated flight itinerary, started to help us with ferry arrangements -- but we're not sure now what's going on with that.

We didn't go so far as to get an exact quote but the agent said she thought it would be about $350 in total, with the 20% Volvo discount.....hmmmmm....

I found the fare to be 238 euros minus 16 for the insurance = 222 euros or approximately $293, directly from the Stena Line website.

Does anyone know what's going on here? This seems like a far cry from a true discount to me, since it's utterly a piece of cake to do it yourself on the Stena website. What am I missing? And does anyone know a source for other, true discounts on the Stena Line fares?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
:confused: So we have made our flight bookings (delivery date of May 22), and Corporate Travel, who were GREAT in helping us with our complicated flight itinerary, started to help us with ferry arrangements -- but we're not sure now what's going on with that.

We didn't go so far as to get an exact quote but the agent said she thought it would be about $350 in total, with the 20% Volvo discount.....hmmmmm....

I found the fare to be 238 euros minus 16 for the insurance = 222 euros or approximately $293, directly from the Stena Line website.

Does anyone know what's going on here? This seems like a far cry from a true discount to me, since it's utterly a piece of cake to do it yourself on the Stena website. What am I missing? And does anyone know a source for other, true discounts on the Stena Line fares?

Thanks much!
The discounts available to particular agencies are based on volume...

I would not worry about the Volvo Corp Travel and its discounts... in my experience the best fares for the ferries can be found here:

http://www.aferry.to//GWmapRefer.asp?ReferComp=AFEO

meets or exceeds anything that Volvo can do for you...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Presuming the ferry to Germany, it is 280 euros. Don't forget about the cabin - 80 euros for 2. It is compulsory and it is an overnight ferry. The chaepest trip is about $370. No 20% discount but not $293 either.
Consider flying Gothernberg-Frankfurt on Ryanair for $50 a piece and renting a car in Germany

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ryanair

Be very very careful with Ryanair. Read all the fine print at least twice!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Presuming the ferry to Germany, it is 280 euros. Don't forget about the cabin - 80 euros for 2. It is compulsory and it is an overnight ferry. The chaepest trip is about $370. No 20% discount but not $293 either.
Consider flying Gothernberg-Frankfurt on Ryanair for $50 a piece and renting a car in Germany
Actually, we booked in advance through the Stena Line website directly, and the total in US dollars was $272 (at the exchange rate at that time, in March). Try this: when you make the booking, look for a discount code field, and enter "volvo". It applied a good discount to our fare.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just for completeness on the Ryanair topic. We flew Stockholm to "Frankfurt" just this last week. Do realize that Ryanair actUally flies to Hanh which no matter what they say is nowhere near Frankfurt. It was perfect for us though. All said Ryanair was just fine. Ensure you print out boarding pass in advance and adhere to the baggage rules.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Actually, we booked in advance through the Stena Line website directly, and the total in US dollars was $272 (at the exchange rate at that time, in March). Try this: when you make the booking, look for a discount code field, and enter "volvo". It applied a good discount to our fare.
the "volvo" discount code doe not work now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes "volvo" code works, thanks.
Price differance is significant, depending on the season.
The least expensive trip for July is about $350.
One way flight from Gothenburg to Berlin on AirBerlin is about $80 - no baggage fee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes "volvo" code works, thanks.
Price differance is significant, depending on the season.
The least expensive trip for July is about $350.
One way flight from Gothenburg to Berlin on AirBerlin is about $80 - no baggage fee
I try to enter "volvo" in the offer code with no joy. Am I missing something? I am coming up on my leave date and still have not booked ferry package (16 June).

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I try to enter "volvo" in the offer code with no joy. Am I missing something? I am coming up on my leave date and still have not booked ferry package (16 June).
Use aferry.com

You will not be disappointed...same level of discounts as Volvo Corp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I booked our ferry through Coprorate Travel before reading this. However, I have followed the advice above and discovered that I only paid an extra $10 through Volvo, which was $16 less than going directly through Stena Line. I'm not so certain there's really a "great" discount to be had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts