SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new to Volvo, fairly technologically competent, but I cannot seem to copy content from a USB drive to the internal HDD. According to the support website, it should be feasible: https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support/topics/car-systems/sensus-connect/copying-music-to-the-car-s-hard-disk

I've got a 2018 S90 (T6 Momentum, but I believe Sensus is standardized?) My main reason for this is I would like some local music but since the car only has one USB port that handles data (seriously; if you're going to support CarPlay and Android Auto, why not have a second data port for map updates, etc.?)

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I haven't found a way to copy items from USB to internal storage. However, while it is true that only one can handle Android Auto/Apple Car Play, both USB ports can play music from a flash drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't found a way to copy items from USB to internal storage. However, while it is true that only one can handle Android Auto/Apple Car Play, both USB ports can play music from a flash drive.
Thanks for the reply. When you say "both" ports... I have only found three ports in my vehicle: one in the armrest (CarPlay or Android Auto) and then two in the rear (via a spring release). Is there a second up front that I'm not seeing?

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Can you stream media from your phone via blutooth if CarPlay / Android Auto are active?

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's odd, the V90 has two in the storage area between the front seats. I thought the S90 would have the same configuration.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Can you stream media from your phone via blutooth if CarPlay / Android Auto are active?
Yes you can

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Yes you can

Seems like this would be the OP's best solution to overcome the single USB port.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like this would be the OP's best solution to overcome the single USB port.
It would, except that bluetooth audio quality is awful, and CarPlay only supports hardwired connection.

At this point, it sounds like I'm plugging in my USB thumb drive in the back seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's odd, the V90 has two in the storage area between the front seats. I thought the S90 would have the same configuration.

That's very strange. Are the two adjacent to one another (like, one on top of the other)? Maybe there's two in there and I just don't feel/notice.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have two in the center console in my 2019 S90 T6 as well. One has a 1TB usb ssd connected at all times and the other i use for whatever else.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two in the center console in my 2019 S90 T6 as well. One has a 1TB usb ssd connected at all times and the other i use for whatever else.

Well I guess that's one upgrade they put in the 2019 compared to the 2018 model year. I just went out and checked my center console again with a buddy to make sure I wasn't blind/old/insane (well, at least in this case) and confirmed one port in the console plus an AUX port in there too. I'll try a stick in one of the other ports in the back seat and see if I can play content from there.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Well I guess that's one upgrade they put in the 2019 compared to the 2018 model year. I just went out and checked my center console again with a buddy to make sure I wasn't blind/old/insane (well, at least in this case) and confirmed one port in the console plus an AUX port in there too. I'll try a stick in one of the other ports in the back seat and see if I can play content from there.
Interesting. Each port is a different color (by memory one is white and other is black) meant for better speeds on one of i recall and i don't recall if there is an aux port but can check when i go out. I'll take a photo when i get on the car good morning

·
Registered
901 Posts
Same here on my s90 only one port in center and 2 on back but i cant play anything from the back ports. My Wifes moms s90 2017 momentum has 2 ports in a center but only 1 can play music etc another one only for charging.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here on my s90 only one port in center and 2 on back but i cant play anything from the back ports. My Wifes moms s90 2017 momentum has 2 ports in a center but only 1 can play music etc another one only for charging.
So based on your signature, you've got the 2018 model also. Which means Volvo did:
- 2017: 2 USB ports in console
- 2018: 1 USB port in console
- 2019: 2 USB ports in console

Very odd.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
If you tried really, really hard you could probably find a way to get the files onto the drive, but the infotainment system still wouldn't look there for media and you wouldn't be able to play them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
So based on your signature, you've got the 2018 model also. Which means Volvo did:
- 2017: 2 USB ports in console
- 2018: 1 USB port in console
- 2019: 2 USB ports in console

Very odd.
yep mine is 2018 .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts