SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are making plans for next years OSD. We will be spending 3 nights in Copenhagen prior to flying home. We're looking for a short list of "must do's" for our stay......

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just returned from our OSD trip to pick up our new XC-90. We stayed 2 nights in Copenhagen on our way to Hamburg, then finishing in Amsterdam.
Copenhagen is a beautiful city, and if you stay somewhere central it's easy enough to walk to all the sights. We had one full day of sightseeing in Copenhagen and hit the following spots. I recommend them all...

- Rosenborg Castle - amazing paintings and tapestries seen on the tour, as well as the Crown jewels of Denmark.
- Nyhavn Street - great bars, restaurants and sights along this waterfront street.
- Little Mermaid statue - famous, and in a nice area to walk around.
- the Round Tower - part of a church, not far from Rosenborg castle. we walked to the top for an amazing view of Copenhagen.
- the City Hall Square (Radhus)
- Amalienborg - the royal residence (cool to see from the outside, but would skip the tour unless you have an interest in the Danish royal family)

Enjoy your OSD... it was a great experience!

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are doing our OSD in late November/early December -- I know it sounds crazy, with the weather and short days -- and have decided not to drive the car. Which also seems crazy cuz I am so ready for this new Volvo.

But the distances were surprising to me and we are covering Bergen and the Norway in a Nutshell tour, Oslo, Stockholm, Gothenburg and Copenhagen. It just made more sense to fly for most legs of the journey. We can use public transportation and travel at night to maximize our time in the daylight hours (only 6 to 7 per day as the winter solstice approaches).

We want to take the train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. The Swedish train website is easy to navigate and we can do the conversion from SEK. But I am stumped by the payment step. It asks for a "payment card PA" (not a credit card, there are no prompts for the card #, etc.) or "internet bank voucher" with any of four Swedish banks, or a "credit voucher" which says enter your Travel Time Guarantee code.

Can anyone help with this? Would we be safe in traveling without confirming this leg of the journey, and simply relying on the almost hourly train schedule from Stockholm to G-burg? Or would prices go up as we get closer to our travel date? We'll be taking the fast train from the Stockholm airport to downtown three days earlier so I guess we could inquire about the Stockholm to Gothenburg conection then.

Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The prices will go up, its common with a quite big difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are interested in arts take the train (or drive your car) to Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Humlebaek an hour north of central Copenhagen.

http://en.louisiana.dk
Thanks for the tip. We love museums and will visit the one in Oslo for sure (Edvard Munch) earlier in the trip. Is the castle in that area also worth a visit?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the tip. We love museums and will visit the one in Oslo for sure (Edvard Munch) earlier in the trip. Is the castle in that area also worth a visit?

The Edvard Munch Museum is very nice but the National Gallery in Olso is much more interesting and also includes some of Munch's works, including "The Scream" It is in close proximity to the Royal Palace, although there are tours open to the public only in summer. If the castle you wish to visit is Akershus Castle it is also within walking distance from the National Gallery. Enjoy Oslo, it is a wonderful city!

·
Registered
170 Posts
We are making plans for next years OSD. We will be spending 3 nights in Copenhagen prior to flying home. We're looking for a short list of "must do's" for our stay......
Greg,

Are you driving to Copenhagen? That's what we would like to do (if everything works out). If you are driving, then you won't be limited to the city itself. We're thinking of spending 2 nights in Copenhagen, and then driving up to Fredriksborg Castle on our way back towards Gothenburg.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't have any experience with Copenhagen, but stayed a couple of hours in the airport. We finished our OSD trip in early Oct. We only spent a couple of days with the car, driving it north for a few hours to some sea shores. It handled country roads pretty well. We tried ACC, Pilot Assistant, Lane Keep. Everything works perfectly. The map is fine in the first day when we drove on high-way and country road, just felt a little lag on the current position (that made us miss a couple of exits/intersections), but I adapted pretty quick. On the second day, I felt the map behave weird: it was one or two blocks off the correct position in the city, which caused the Nav system keep recalculating the route. I had to use my cell phone to direct me. So get prepared to download some maps on your phone if you don't have any working sim card in Europe. Besides that, I had a couple of alerts just like others got: SRS air bag and city safety alert. Some features like camera, lane keeping were disabled. I returned the car to the center on the same day as planned. They said they would take care of them in the workshop before shipping to the US. Hopefully it is just some software bugs need to update. I keep asking OSD center for the causes and conclusion, but so far I don't good experience with the response. I will update when I get something back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We just returned from our OSD trip to pick up our new XC-90. We stayed 2 nights in Copenhagen on our way to Hamburg, then finishing in Amsterdam.
Copenhagen is a beautiful city, and if you stay somewhere central it's easy enough to walk to all the sights. We had one full day of sightseeing in Copenhagen and hit the following spots. I recommend them all...

- Rosenborg Castle - amazing paintings and tapestries seen on the tour, as well as the Crown jewels of Denmark.
- Nyhavn Street - great bars, restaurants and sights along this waterfront street.
- Little Mermaid statue - famous, and in a nice area to walk around.
- the Round Tower - part of a church, not far from Rosenborg castle. we walked to the top for an amazing view of Copenhagen.
- the City Hall Square (Radhus)
- Amalienborg - the royal residence (cool to see from the outside, but would skip the tour unless you have an interest in the Danish royal family)

Enjoy your OSD... it was a great experience!

Don’t forget the Tivoli Garden and of course the Castel in Elsinore (Helsingør) the castle from Hamlet!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Consider the Copenhagen Card for great deals like free entry to Tivoli Gardens and discounts/free at many other places in Copenhagen and it's area (Roskilde, Friedericksborg, Louisiana).

We bought at the tourist office when took the short ferry from Sweden to Denmark to "Hamlet's castle" in Helsingor before making our way down to Copenhagen.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greg,

Are you driving to Copenhagen? That's what we would like to do (if everything works out). If you are driving, then you won't be limited to the city itself. We're thinking of spending 2 nights in Copenhagen, and then driving up to Fredriksborg Castle on our way back towards Gothenburg.
We are planning to take the train from Gothenburg to Copenhagen.....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Consider the Copenhagen Card for great deals like free entry to Tivoli Gardens and discounts/free at many other places in Copenhagen and it's area (Roskilde, Friedericksborg, Louisiana).

We bought at the tourist office when took the short ferry from Sweden to Denmark to "Hamlet's castle" in Helsingor before making our way down to Copenhagen.
Can the card be purchased at the same price as on line when we first arrive in Copenhagen???

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can the card be purchased at the same price as on line when we first arrive in Copenhagen???
I think so. We didn't want to purchase online and have any issue with it arriving before our trip overseas. The card is pricy but if you plan your trip to hit enough sights in your 24hr/48hr/72hr/120hr time period, it is well worth it! Great to cover some sights outside of Copenhagen.

http://www.copenhagencard.com/prices-and-conditions

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing information.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stayed at hotels, inns or B&Bs with parking. Novatel in Gothenburg and STAY in Copenhagen did not charge for parking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts