SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever taken the train from Copenhagen to Gothenburg? I just want to know a little bit about how ticketing is done and what is the ballpark cost of a ticket? Any information would be very helpful.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We stopped in Copenhagen for a few days before taking a train up to Gothenburg three years ago. The trains run frequently and there were plenty of seats and room for our luggage. I recall we selected the Københavns Lufthavn St. train station which is walking distance from the airport entrance and it is the last station before crossing the bridge into Sweden. There is a metro (subway) stop a few steps away if you will be staying in central Copenhagen. I recall buying our tickets from an agent at the train station. The central train station in Gothenburg is across the street from the RB Hotel that Volvo uses for their OSD customers.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Has anyone ever taken the train from Copenhagen to Gothenburg? I just want to know a little bit about how ticketing is done and what is the ballpark cost of a ticket? Any information would be very helpful.
Theres a direct train from Gothenburg Central Station called "Öresundståg" which has more then 10+ departures a day (and vice versa from Copenhagen). Cost from ca $40 - $60 depending on time and cabin class. There is also cheaper ones with transit in Malmö "SJ Snabbtåg"...which switches to "Öresundtåg". Visit www.sj.se for more information and ticket sales (available in English).

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,807 Posts
We purchased our tickets from a kiosk in the main train station on the Oresund line. Trains leave for Gothenburg hourly. You do need a chipped credit card. The transaction took less than five minutes. The directions on the kiosk made it really quite easy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just recalled that the staffed train ticket counter for the train station by the airport was actually located in the large outer entrance space of the airport along with other local travel and food vendors. Then it is very short walk to the train platforms.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
We, too, are thinking of taking the train from Gothenburg to Copenhagan following delivery. Thanks to everyone for the information......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, this information is awesome. It's good to know that we can just purchase the tickets there at the station. If we are taking the train from central Copenhagen, is there a ticket agent if I don't use the kiosk? Does the kiosk have an English option? I've been trying to find out whether my 3 year old will need a ticket. I've been reading from different sources that say kids from anywhere under 4 to under 6 are free.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yeah, this information is awesome. It's good to know that we can just purchase the tickets there at the station. If we are taking the train from central Copenhagen, is there a ticket agent if I don't use the kiosk? Does the kiosk have an English option? I've been trying to find out whether my 3 year old will need a ticket. I've been reading from different sources that say kids from anywhere under 4 to under 6 are free.

Thanks.
You are traveling in March or April?
Don't forget to re visit the SS site to share your OSD travel experiences!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts

Thanks.
When checking the Swedish railway website (www.sj.se)...they do charge children between 0-6 of age.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all again for the input. We're going to wait a little longer before deciding on whether we forego the connecting flight to Gothenburg or whether we take the train. With our delivery in late April, it's still too early to tell. But knowing that you don't need to make any prior reservation for the train is reassuring.

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is true if the child wants a seat. Not so if the child is held on a lap.Also, I don't believe the SJ trains departing Copenhagen travel directly to Gothenburg. One would have to make a transfer in Malmo.
You can go with the "Öresundtåget" directly to Gothenburg. There are however some departures that require a transfer in Malmö, even with the "Öresundståget". One needs to ask when buying at the station.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts