SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick question about the Aircondition in the s/v90. Now that the summer is almost gone how is the cooling in your car. My osd is in October and while driving the whole day in 97 degree NYC in a 750li I was not happy with the cooling and believed to be insufficient for the car and wondered if Volvo did a better job. Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Doesn't often get that hot in Maine, though we do have the humidity. There's a lot of airspace in my V90CC but things cool down quickly and have been kept quite comfortable during our hot spells.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Arizona here: AC is adequate for my desert climate. May not be the coldest or hardest blowing system, but works just fine to keep the occupant comfortable. the auto climate doesn't like to run recirculate for some reason, but it's OK without. When it's over 115F I'll remote start the car and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes. Cooled seats help a lot in terms of comfort.

Comfortable with middle or just above middle fan speeds and full blast cooled seats. I still have some cooling capacity headroom.

The worst part is the aluminum trim around the steering wheel controls stay hot for way longer than the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Doesn't often get that hot in Maine, though we do have the humidity. There's a lot of airspace in my V90CC but things cool down quickly and have been kept quite comfortable during our hot spells.
Ayuh. A/C and heating have been excellent in all of our Volvos. This is one of the many things that Volvo does very well. I did notice, however, that on a road trip last weekend in our S90, the items in the trunk got a little warm in transit. This never happens in our V90 or any previous wagons, where the A/C keeps everything cool all the way to the rear hatch. One of the many reasons why I prefer wagons over sedans. :)

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Getting back to my parked V90CC at work, the temperature display regularly shows 100+ Deg F. It takes climate control just a minute (I always keep it on Auto, 72 Deg F and level 2 fan speed) to cool down the entire cabin to the cold chilly air. By the time I'm on the interstate, it feels cold even on the Auto setting. Bottom line, the AC is strong as it can be. Just be mindful to use a front windshield sunscreen if it gets too hot regularly and if you park out in the sun, as it helps a lot to radiate heat away from the cabin (I do). Also, I roll down all windows for about 15-20 seconds till the time I get out of my parking area to let all that hot air out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think there were known issues with BMWs AC. my friend had 750i and on day 10 when car was new it started blowing weak. turns out the software and some temp sensor had to be updated.

·
Registered
911 Posts
On the days where it's been 90+ degrees and high humidity it seems to do fine. My driver setting is Auto climate, fan max setting is 3, and driver's side zone set to 68. Even with the sunshade on the sunroof open it seems to do just fine cooling and keeping the cabin cool. The only exception is if the Auto-climate is set to ECO and I'm in stop and go traffic. It definitely runs warmer under those conditions, but not uncomfortably so.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to hear it is adequate. I will drop the BMW off to have it checked as it was plain stupid how bad it was performing whole summer. My old one has no such issue and I usually have to set it warmer due to freezing conditions. I remember I had a Buick with air temps in the low 30’s from the vents. That system blew up because of overcharging the Freon. But darn it was cold while it lasted.

·
Registered
279 Posts
100 F in DFW this past week. V90 has done a far better job of cooling the cabin than did my previous Audis, especially on more humid days.

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
502 Posts
Agree with all of the perspectives provided, have had no issues at all even on a recent trip to Vegas with record breaking temps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your input. Now I can rest assured the summer will be a joy in the v90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
AC is over rated :rolleyes:. Maybe I am more tolerant to heat since I ride/train on bicycle 5-7 days week even in 100F weather. When driving alone this year, I never used AC.
One thing for sure, glass roof doesnt not help. I might be putting some 3M Crystaline fim on it to block more IR.
This Summer in Europe, I found 2018 Audi A6 has not so great AC...according to my Wife. I could feel not so cold out of vents.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine has been stupid since I got it back from service. Sometimes it'll ice you down nicely, other times it thinks it's ok to let you sweat a little. No heavy throttle input or anything seems to change the way it acts that day.

For the guy asking about max AC, it is there but it's not obvious. You can set the max auto fan speed to 5 and have it remembered. You can also hit the little picture of the fan on the far right of the scale to kick off auto and run the AC full blast. The biggest drawback is, it is super loud. They half assed the noise mitigation shapes/materials at full fan speed so it'll whistle and whoosh. I guess it's hard to test that in a frozen tundra.

Also check your elbow. Mine hits the damn rear passenger controls all the time and turns that on, so I glance down to make sure it's off. I think newer models have a locking function to prevent this.

·
Registered
553 Posts
AC is over rated :rolleyes:. Maybe I am more tolerant to heat since I ride/train on bicycle 5-7 days week even in 100F weather. When driving alone this year, I never used AC.
One thing for sure, glass roof doesnt not help. I might be putting some 3M Crystaline fim on it to block more IR.
This Summer in Europe, I found 2018 Audi A6 has not so great AC...according to my Wife. I could feel not so cold out of vents.
This summer has been brutal in Europe!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My S90T8 seems to do just fine. The only time it suffers is if I'm in Pure mode, but that's stated in the manual. I did tint the sunroof to 20% since the car doesn't come with a solid sun shade, which I find annoying, but the tint helped the heat. Since i'm the only one in the car, I pointed the center vent on the passenger side up towards the pilot assist brains, help keep it cool with the sun beating on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our AC (2017 V90CC) is intermittently malfunctioning. About 25% of the time, it works great, and can easily deal with our 90-degree temps and high humidity. The rest of the time, upon starting the car, it will give us something more like ambient temperature. It seems to THINK it is sending cold air, but it isn't. We hit the AC button off-on-off-on a few times and eventually the brain kicks in and the AC actually turns cold, but minutes usually have passed and we are sweating.

We have taken it to the dealer twice (we have it at a different dealer today for the same issue), and hopefully they can do something about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts