SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After visiting the local indy shop here about the fact my cooling fan no longer runs reliably to regulate the coolant temp (used to always run btw 182-188F but now fluctuates wildly all the way into the low-200F range) he said that the solenoids/switches for the fan are all on the fan itself, so the answer is to replace the $500 fan. Sound right?
Also, the thermostat may be original. The hose clamp adjuster screw is upside down below everything so it can't be accessed by the owner, so I assume its not been changed before 2010/91K when I got the car
Is it possible that this Volvo thermostat fluctuates between open and closed as it ages?

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is one of those times that VIDA is your friend, the cooling fan operates on data shared from the engine ecu, the cooling fan has it's own ecu, if the data is incorrect from the engine ecu, the fan will not perform properly. Could the thermostat be the issue, of course it could, they are cheap and not hard to change. When I chnaged mine, I just unbolted the housing and left the hose on the housing, lost a little coolant but still left plenty in the system.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The thermostast opens at 189F. The radiator fan only kicks in at 221F. I only realised this after byuing a CFE+ that allows to monitor the coolings temps on the DIM. I have confirmed these temps with my tuner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts