SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Have a 2007 XC70 that just recently the cooling fan is always running...pretty loud also. Any ideas on what might be causing this. Temps have been in the 40's and coolant reservoir is full.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi all.

Have a 2007 XC70 that just recently the cooling fan is always running...pretty loud also. Any ideas on what might be causing this. Temps have been in the 40's and coolant reservoir is full.

Thanks

Tony
My guesses based on little information would be 1)Bad coolant temperature sensor 2) Bad/sticking fan relay or 3) a short somewhere

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cooling fan control module. May be more efficient to get the whole fan assembly

·
Registered
26 Posts
Id try the coolant temp sensor (and thermostat if you wanna try to avoid having to remove the upper radiator hose again later). Volvo only sells the entire housing together with thermostat and sensor (genuine or oem is 100-120USD) but you can buy them seperate if you must. Go for the coolant temp sensor first though if youre unsure of diagnostics or how to use a multi-meter the sensor is (genuine about 60 but aftermarket is about 15USD {installed an aftermarket one for someone forgot the brand but so far no problems one year down the line) and hopefully youll be able to avoid the fan volvo doesnt sell the fan relay only so you would need to pay the estimate 450USD just for the fan assembly then labor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Thought it might have been the cooling fan control module so I ordered and installed a certified used one from Erie. No change, this fan is also always running. Temp gauge is in the middle, car thinks all is OK. Hate to just throw parts at a problem but looks like the coolant temp senor is next even if the gauge is normal?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Check your AC! I know, counterintuitive, but if AC pressure is low, the fan stays on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dang sorry to hear that wish I had seen your previous post would have recommended the temp sensor first since its not too expensive and is usually the fault. Well if you want to know forsure youd need a multi-meter and a scan tool would help. Cant speak to the low A/C pressure haven't come across that problem only stating the most common fault tends to be the coolant temp sensors in P2 volvos. Are you doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here found a video to supposedly test the coolant temp sensor just disconnect the smaller wire connection towards the alternator on the fan assembly if the fan turns off most likely the temp sensor not sure if it works but it is true the wire is where the temp sensor sends the signal to turn on the fan so does make sense

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here found a video to supposedly test the coolant temp sensor just disconnect the smaller wire connection towards the alternator on the fan assembly if the fan turns off most likely the temp sensor not sure if it works but it is true the wire is where the temp sensor sends the signal to turn on the fan so does make sense
starts showing wire at 4:09 if you dont want to watch the whole video

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Check your AC! I know, counterintuitive, but if AC pressure is low, the fan stays on.

My fan was always on, in Feb 2019, in Toronto area. Temps were about 30F or lower.
I refilled AC and it went away.

Told my GF what happened and what the fix was, she just said: ”Your car is stupid!”

She wasn’t wrong …

·
Registered
18,317 Posts
I pulled a whole fan assembly off a yard car and that did the trick. I think it cost me 14 bucks. It was killing our battery on the XC.
Thanks for the replies. Thought it might have been the cooling fan control module so I ordered and installed a certified used one from Erie. No change, this fan is also always running. Temp gauge is in the middle, car thinks all is OK. Hate to just throw parts at a problem but looks like the coolant temp senor is next even if the gauge is normal?

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
AC charge level or pressure sensor.

·
Registered
690 Posts
To those with the issue, are your fans running on a fairly high speed, or? When I had the A/C evacuated in mine, the fan ran on high whenever the ignition was on.

Reason I ask is, my ‘06 has the fan running fairly low after the key is removed. Seems to run for a minute or two, but A/C is charged and no codes are set at all. Weather is cold; does it in the 30s here in PA, so don’t believe it’s actually for cooling. Also had a new thermostat/ECT in August.

Joe

·
Registered
18,317 Posts
Our must've simply been the relay on the XC and the a/c is ice cold, fan was on HIGH. I do and have had that issue on the 05 since I've owned it in 2012 (fan low). A/C is charged, but I think I need to shim the compressor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To those with the issue, are your fans running on a fairly high speed, or? When I had the A/C evacuated in mine, the fan ran on high whenever the ignition was on.

Reason I ask is, my ‘06 has the fan running fairly low after the key is removed. Seems to run for a minute or two, but A/C is charged and no codes are set at all. Weather is cold; does it in the 30s here in PA, so don’t believe it’s actually for cooling. Also had a new thermostat/ECT in August.

Joe
In my case wasn't my car but fan would in one case kick on high and stay on once the key was turned to position 2 engine off and the temp gauge spiked all the way to red but I've had one of them be at normal temp but the fan would run for about 5-10 minutes after the car was turned off. I checked to see if I felt it was the ECT cause as moosed said I dont think anyone wants to throws parts at their vehicles if it wont fix the problem. In both instances luckily it was clear the ECT was faulty. That's why when I hear this problem I would immediately think ECT or fan assemby (specifically the relay but Volvo doesn't sell them and I just dont like used parts unless the owner specifically wants me to use them and even then depending what it is I try to urge them away from it). You obviously don't want to think it can only be those two things but the temp sensor aftermarket like I said is cheap so I would start there if I didn't have any way to test or read info from the ECM. The fan would be a last resort honestly for me I know it is known that they go bad but to me if its between pay 15$ to blindly test something vs 400$ for a new fan (I know many would try getting a used good one. I wont) I'd rather try the sensor but I'd even try checking A/C pressure before I try the fan if I was suggested to try that since I'm comfortable doing it myself but some people aren't or don't have the equipment to. If you have a scanner try checking the engine coolant temp reading in the ECM data stream if you can read the voltage being read or the resistance of the ECT that would help (that was for moosed) In your case since you replaced the thermostat and ECT since I haven't come across the problem myself and cant first handily experience the condition dont want to comment but gut would say fan assembly but brain is telling me "test something you fool do it now". Which I just mean its hard to diagnose when other than a description theres not much to go on

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again thanks for all the replies. You guys saved me from throwing more parts and money at the issue. Was ready to buy a new sensor at least and maybe a new thermostat housing.
Low on R13a, added some and instantly the fan stopped. That problem solved. But now I have to track down the obvious leak.

Tony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts