SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coolant under my driver side winter mats - guess my heater core is toast ('01 S60 LPT)?

Pulled the winter mats out of the '01 S60 today to wash them and the carpet on the driver's side was soaked with coolant. I'm surprised my "Low Coolant" light has not come on yet.<p>Easy fix? Doesn't seem undoable (not sure this is a word) for a not so experienced enthusiat?<br>

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Coolant under my driver side winter mats - guess my heater core ... (S60inToronto)

It's doable, if you don't have back problems.<br>Was it coolant though (sweet smell) or water from sunroof or your snowshoes?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's coolant...however, the paper towels I used didn't look green.<p>It hasn't snowed recently and I've been using the R. I should check the sunroof drains though. You just open the roof and you can see the drain openings? Any other water entry points to driver's side?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (S60inToronto)

You can definitely tell antifreeze from the smell and you'll windows will get gunky fog that's difficult to clean out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I had that with my 850. I'll double check on what it may be tomorrow. I haven't noticed the fogging windows but there has been a slight smell recently, and I had to top up the coolant in February.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Get a vadis copy or have someone screen cap the instructions if you want to tackle changing the core DIY. Aside from working in the driver footwell, it's not too hard.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks will do.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my sense of smell is gone but I asked my wife to check the paper towels I used to soak up the driver side wet carpet and there's no smell so looks like it's water.<p>Apart from the sunroof drains, are there any other sources for water coming into driver's side floor area?<p>Anyone have pics from Vadis of these drains they can post or email?<p>Thanks

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>S60inToronto</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it's coolant...however, the paper towels I used didn't look green.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>If its coolant you would know it, it's a yucky sweet smell and predominant

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: (JRL)

I had the same problem in my '02. The rubber tube connecting the drain hole in the front left corner of the sunroof opening (slide the window all the way back and you will see a hole in the left and right front corners of the well around the opening) came loose from the metal tube running down the front pillar.<p>If you pour some water down the passenger front hole, it should come out under the car. Try just a bit on the other and you should be able to feel it along the headliner where it meets the edge of the door opening near the pillar. I was able to gently pull the headliner back along the edge and attach the rubber hose to the metal tube running down the pillar. <p>Try not to bend the headliner too much and it will go back in place almost like new. Fixed my mysterious leak for good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts