SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolant resivoir reads max when cold.... drive it till temp gauge is at 12 o'clock and sooner or later the low coolant light comes on . I check the resivoir and coolant is down at min - which triggered the sensor. If I slowly let the pressure out of the tank the coolant rises back to max.. Is there so much pressure in my system that it forces the fluid down ? What is causing it? Thanks for your ideas.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed, Chris.

Let's move this to the V70XC Forum for some answers.

What year is the XC?

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2001 v70 xc

I have a 2001 volvov70xc w/88,000 miles. Imaculate looking when I bought it 3 months ago . I didn't notice it needed a new instrument cluster- did that . Now, since I posted I filled up the resivoir to the top w/ the cap off and I'm getting bubbles thru the small hose in the top of the coolant resivoir. Thanks for responding..... any ideas

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
It appears that the cooling system is trying to balance itself.

Keep an eye on the bubbles and let us know if they go away and/or if the coolant level drops below MIN after an overnight cool-down.

Thanks.

George Dill

ps: where did you get the replacement instrument cluster?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coolant problem with 2001 v70 xc

Thanks for your intrest. I got the cluster from Volvo-1000 and another 350 for instalation and the interface with my car's computer that only Volvo dealers can perform. The latest on the resivoir is that after a drive to the valley this morning (I live on a beautiful mountain outside of L.A. at 4500 ft.) and back home again the coolant level hot remained at max line. I haven't checked it for the level cool because I just came home. Once again- thanks for the input. How do I check the performance of the temp sensor- my car's temp gauge never goes over exactly the middle line. I have a multimeter and I am an electrician.(I hope that doesn't hinder me too much)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have your exact same problem on a 2004 Volvo s60 and everyone keeps telling me there must be air in the system. Last night after running it and squeezing the upper radiator hose I thought I had it fixed. This morning the coolant level was down a little lower so I added water up to the max line and had the same problem as before...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dissapearing coolant

Have you tried running the engine for a while 20 or 30 min, with the heater turned all the way on?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Reservoir (for your edification)!
Good luck tracing this down
Get the (possible) air out of the system and you need to check the level COLD before you do anything else

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just talked to a local mechanic that works on volvos and he told me to fill the reservoir all the way to the top and when you start the car if water shoots out you have a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's not that simple

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I figured... well someone else said that if there is air in the cooling system I could take off the upper radiator hose and pour coolant directly into the block. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No
Where do you guys come up with this s**t?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Jim, isn't there a PUBLISHED checklist for purging the air out of the coolant system? My last car w/a closed system was that French POS Eagle Premier. I had to attach a vacuum hose to a weep vent in the water pump, open the coolant res, turn the weep hole until it began to drip, then run the car and constantly add coolant until there was a steady stream coming out the weep hole into a catch basin.

On the Subie, it was much easier - there was a high-point in the system near the driver's front, so you pulled up as steep an incline as you could, pull the cap off & keep pouring coolant in until no more air bubbled out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts