SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a low coolant message for the first time on my 2004 s60r. Do I have to use the OEM coolant from Volvo or can I use Prestone or another name brand to refill it?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I got mine from fcp. It's blue colored. The important part is to not mix diffrent types, you could run anything you want if you did a full drain and flush (non withstanding any benifits of the oe fluid gives to longevity with an all aluminm system).

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I got a low coolant message for the first time on my 2004 s60r. Do I have to use the OEM coolant from Volvo or can I use Prestone or another name brand to refill it?
Hopefully not a head gasket or cracked cylinder. Do a compression check after a flush is what I would do. R's tend to have these problems not sure if your modded or not and milage. GL

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Draining is pretty simple. Remove the bumper and there should be a drain port at the bottom of the RAD. Undo that and let it empty. Refill through the reserve. 1 bottle of fluid (2 if its diluted) and 1 case of distilled water and you should be set.

For a flush just simple drain the RAD and fill with water and run the car. Then drain again and you should remove all the rest of the left over fluid in the engine.

I'm pretty sure that's it. I'm hungover and don't have my glasses on :D

Also after a flush you should be able to use any fluid recommended for the Volvo. I wouldn't mix different types of fluid. I just bought some Zerex G05 myself for like $13.99 which is good stuff.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
volvo or zerex g05 is the way to go.

To add to ions post, there should be a draincock on the rear coolant pipe as well. (under the turbo)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Cheapest is to buy some Zerex G05 from a parts store.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Only mod I have is a K&N drop in filter. Car itself has 65,200 on it
Welcome to the forum, and ... worst possible first addon. The only one with negligible performance value, while increasing risk of higher maintenance costs. It has been shown on this forum that the OEM filter flows equal or better to K&N. Though I don't remember if it was with the sock or without, but I think it was with. On the downside you're adding oil vapor to the intake side of the MAF, and some people have found holes in the K&N filter element.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and ... worst possible first addon. The only one with negligible performance value, while increasing risk of higher maintenance costs. It has been shown on this forum that the OEM filter flows equal or better to K&N. Though I don't remember if it was with the sock or without, but I think it was with. On the downside you're adding oil vapor to the intake side of the MAF, and some people have found holes in the K&N filter element.
Truth. If anything look into doing the R-Kelly CAI and leaving the factory box intact or look into doing The Dougy :D

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Draining is pretty simple. Remove the bumper and there should be a drain port at the bottom of the RAD. Undo that and let it empty. Refill through the reserve. 1 bottle of fluid (2 if its diluted) and 1 case of distilled water and you should be set.
No need to remove the bumper actually... you just need an socket extension to reach the drain port, and it flows down in the clear.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
No need to remove the bumper actually... you just need an socket extension to reach the drain port, and it flows down in the clear.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Yep :thumbup:,but anytime you're running HighPerformance air filter , in MY opinion it is best you run it with a condom ON...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts