SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Coolant Low - Stop Engine (several occasions)

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Costa 
#1 ·
I've had this message on our XC about 3 times now in the past month. The first two times were when it was parked on a decent hill, so I brushed it off. Last night it happened on the flat part of our driveway, and it was just below the MIN mark. I didn't see any puddling. I topped it off and we were fine. I am going to keep an eye on it closely now, but I doubt it was an air bubble after 59k miles. I searched but didn't find any relevant posts about this, so has anyone seen or know of any issues with this? My wife doesn't drive the car hard, so not sure what to expect. Of course this happens less than 10k after warranty runs out. If it is something substantial, guaranteed I'll be calling on VCNA.
Kind of ironic that this happens in the same month as my R gets a pinhole leak in the coolant reservoir. :)

#2 ·
It's gotta be leaking out somewhere. On my XC70 it was the water pump but it had a lot more miles. I'd think maybe a hose clamp or crack in the reservoir would be possible, both pretty cheap to fix. Fluid could be collecting in the nooks and crannies and sloshing out after you start moving so there's no obvious puddle. At any rate I wouldn't put it off, especially in my wife's car...

#3 ·
Had my RD for 10 days and saw puddling in garage. Eventually got the message that car wouldnt start as too much had leaked out. Towed back to dealer. Was told that coolant clamp was missing- dealer replaced and haven't had coolant issues since.

#6 ·
Well maybe I will just put it on the lift and pressurize the system to 20psi. I topped it off 4 days ago and the level hasn't budged.

#8 ·
My wife had a similar problem yesterday. We have 2014 D5 2.4 l diesel engine. Coolant level was at minimum, low level alarm came and gone very fast. Went to dealer, he said is normal, just top-up with coolant, telling my wife that coolant is topped-up every service time and because we are close to service time (1Y) we had this issue.
I don't believe is normal to loose coolant, I checked the manual, no any mention about this.
I marked the level and will keep on eye on this. No visual leak were found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.