SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been loosing coolant gradually over time.
Replaced the overflow tank due to a visible leak
Then tightened of the thermostat bolts for a very small minor leak

Still looses coolant over time
Found this on the Drivers side of the radiator:

Time to change the radiator? (was changed under the warranty long ago, car now has 100K miles)
Hoses look ok

·
Registered
536 Posts
Looks like a leak in the core or in the end tanks. I would say its time for a new one.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you have the proper tool, you can pressurize the system with the engine cold or cool and have a good look at it. Ya need a cooling system pressure tester with a Volvo adapter.
You might be able to get a generic one for free at Autozone or some other parts chain that has loaners and then buy the adapter ya need. That what I would do.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If its a slow leak that is just leaving residue, its nothing that a pressure tester will help with. My advice would be to clean up the residue and make sure the lower clamp is tight. If there is still residue, then perhaps buy some dye if you have a UV light to try and pinpoint where its seeping.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I second checking the hose clamp first, but judging on appearance it is most likely a tank gasket leak or tube to header leak... these are the most common failure modes for this type of radiator. You may see the leak with a pressure tester. You can also pressurize the system with an air compressor if you are careful and have a regulator that is trustworthy. Just don't go past about 20 psi. The system can handle a bit more, but play it safe. You should see any measurable leak by that pressure anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts