SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 S60 T6 (6-cylinder). Car is losing coolant through the radiator cap on the expansion tank. I have never seen any indication of overheating, but I replaced some of the simple stuff anyway: radiator cap, expansion tank, and thermostat have all been replaced. The overflow seldom occurs around town, but let me get out on an open road and get the speed up and it will overflow. An important point (I think) - after driving, then sitting overnite SO THAT THE CAR IS COLD, unscrewing the radiator cap will release a bunch of pressure from the tank and I'll see the coolant level rise, up to half an inch. I have never seen any bubbles in the tank, but I suspect a head gasket failure - compressed gases getting into the cooling system.

Before I take this into the mechanic (dealer most likely), is there any other explanation for the pressure in the cooling system? Seems like a classic head gasket case, but there are so may pumps and coolers in this car I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this and discovered another (cheaper) issue/solution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Head gasket failure will typically result in very dirty and muddy looking coolant in your overflow tank. It easy to tell just looking through the translucent plastic.

You can also rent or borrow head gasket leak checking tools from Auto Zone, Murry's, NAPA, etc., that attach to the overflow bottle, but it does sound like a head gasket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts