SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85 244 has a coolant leak somewhere, I just cant figure out where it is. It's not leaving any puddles under the car, but when I start up the car and get the heat going I get that sweet smell in the car. Sometimes smoke will come out of the vent. I'd think it might be the heater core, but the last heater core that died on me (in my VW) was quite an ordeal and not a slow leak like this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: Coolant Leak (axgop)

its most likely still the heater core. The can die slowly or suddenly. Unfortunatley, if you found replacing the core on a vw a pain in the butt, doing it on a 240 is much more so.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Coolant Leak (axgop)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Joshua.

If there is absolutely no smell then a very abrubt smell when you operate the heater control then it is probably a faulty heater control valve. A leaking hose and/or heater core would most likely smell routinely.

Before you spend (spin?) your next life up-side-down under the dash it may be wise to decide how deep to go into repairs as once all is apart it is usually wise to replace blower motor, heater control valve, heater core and all associated hoses, clamps, wires, relays, etc.

Here is the answer to your next question...

http://www.cleanflametrap.com/

Enjoy!

George Dill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Coolant Leak (gdill2)

Thanks for the help guys. I got lucky with the VW and got it replaced as a 'complimentary service' because there was a recall out on the same part number for the Jettas but not the Passats, so there was no digging involved with that one. Looks like that site combined with my soon to arrive bentley should get me through it. Whatever doesn't kill me, right?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Pray it aint the heater core....It could be the oraphis (sp?) valve it connects the heater cable to the lever on the console. IPD gots them I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (DVolvoguy777)

From what I can tell, thats the equivilant of the expansion valve? Since that's an A/C part, how would I be getting the coolant smell (I've never had a sniff of freon before, though)?

BTW - This place is already much friendlier than some of the vortex forums, thanks guys.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you take the left kick panel off the console, you will find the pesky valve. its behind the blower ass'y. Follow the cable from the manual selector in the console. It will lead to it. There is a tube that runs from the centre of the blower ass'y that runs through the top of the tranny channel in the chassis. You can pop that out and see if there is coolant inside it. If that is the case then it is your heater core.

The reason I suspect the orifice valve on the left side is that there is a hose that runs inside the housing that can dry rot. I wish I had pix to illistrate this.

Modified by DVolvoguy777 at 1:22 PM 3-29-2006

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That should be good enough for me to have a look later. Thanks. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

·
Registered
412 Posts

have you suddenly been stricken with dyslexia? ive never seen you make a spelling error before let alone repeated ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Camyman)

I'll cut him some slack on the spelling. It was early afternoon when we were posting and Lord knows I've fallen asleep at my desk more than once in the early afternoon.

Back in the office on this lovely night, therefore not ripping apart my interior looking for leaks. So sad, but that's why they invented lunch breaks, I guess.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: (axgop)

true. ive been known to go down and out at around 3:30 not to get up untill 7:00 or later. so i guess all is forgiven.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

While waiting for a spare moment to go through my car, I figured I'd ask this related question. I was thinking of flushing the system sometime before next winter hits and, coming from vw, I'm sort of wary of the green stuff. Would anyone recommend upgrading to a better coolant or should I stick with the green?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Prestone makes a 50/50 mix. That stuff is grate. Either that you can get the Sierra stuff. You put just water in WV winter? You will replace freeze plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hehe, no, I meant Volkswagen which recommends G11 (Dexcool equivilant), G12, or G12+ for it's newer cars. I know my volvo's not newer, but they have certain properties to them that make them longer lasting and supposedly fight corrosion of coolant parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts