SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to track down this leak. I just swapped the radiator car isn't running hot but I just noticed coolant on the heat shield for the turbo. Where the heck can it be coming from?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Could be a few places...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=volv...26&start=34&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:36,s:0,i:198

My heater core Lines would squirt water only durring WOT (I guess the PSI cause a small Pinhole leak) It took me months to figure it out. I noticed completly by accident when i was looking for an exhaust leak leaning over the motor had someone rev it and the car spit in my face... I was like WTF. just sitting and letting the car run I'd never leak water. they would be Number 18 and 19 on that diagram. I would suggest that if it is them you go ahead and swap the heater core also. Once I changed them and the correct PSI was put into the heater core it blew up also...

If its on the other side of the heat sheild then its probably the small rubber hose that connects the coolant tank to the hard pipes for the turbo. the diagram I posted is for a newer car, but on 850/x70 the area around #14 and #15 is a rubber hose. check that also.

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
re:leaks

I agree with the turbo return line, maybe it is squirting up towards the firewall or hood. It's just under the heatshield and is easy to change out. Just remember the orientation of the heatshield, it can be a bitch to reinstall.

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys and I think you're right with that little hose. I'm going to change it out tomorrow night. So trying to understand how the system works. the more throttle you give it the faster the pump spins creating more PSI? Could that be why I have it now cause pryor to Friday hadn't seen any leaks but got on it kinda hard.

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be a few places...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=volv...26&start=34&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:36,s:0,i:198

My heater core Lines would squirt water only durring WOT (I guess the PSI cause a small Pinhole leak) It took me months to figure it out. I noticed completly by accident when i was looking for an exhaust leak leaning over the motor had someone rev it and the car spit in my face... I was like WTF. just sitting and letting the car run I'd never leak water. they would be Number 18 and 19 on that diagram. I would suggest that if it is them you go ahead and swap the heater core also. Once I changed them and the correct PSI was put into the heater core it blew up also...

If its on the other side of the heat sheild then its probably the small rubber hose that connects the coolant tank to the hard pipes for the turbo. the diagram I posted is for a newer car, but on 850/x70 the area around #14 and #15 is a rubber hose. check that also.

Good luck.
Do they have a diagram like that for the 850s.

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another leak damn it. This time I found it over top of the transmission like its the lower radiator hose. Now I see there might be two other hoses it could be. This is really getting old.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 2 other hoses your talking about are the 2 i said before... the heater core lines. its common for them to leak right where the clamp is. If you don't have the hose you can usually cut the end off and reuse it for a short time. I've NEVER has the lower radiator hose leak. on any of my 3 volvos, its always been the smaller ones.

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I'd take you up on your offer but it's at the shop now and they are saying it'sa by passs hose not the lower radiator hose. I'm not sure what the by pass hose is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't do this. Cutting the hose causes it to be at an angle and old heater hoses are so worn from excessive heat it's not worth it to replace the motor. I have a spare set of heater hoses if you want them. I had them for my 850 and ended up just bypassing it
If you read I said a SHORT TIME, meaning a few days. I don't suggest using this as a long solution. Only to get you back up and running for a few days. ANd only if the rest of the hose looks to be in good shape.

If they say its a bypass hose, then maybe someone already bypassed the heater core. Its common. did your heater work before?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Man, replace all of those old coolant hoses. It may cost a couple of hundred dollars but you won't have to worry about it for 10 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts