SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home yesterday and got a warning to pull over because the engine was overheating. The temp gauge was pegged in the red, but I pulled over and it cooled off to normal ranges. I checked the coolant reservoir and it was completely empty and when I tried pouring more in, I could hear it leaking out the bottom. I removed the skid plate and tried to get eyes on where it was leaking. From what I can tell its not the upper or lower radiator hoses or the reservoir drain hose. I'm thinking maybe the thermostat housing but I can't see the leak because of all the other things in the way. I have a picture, but I need to upload it so I can post it here.

Also, is there any thing I should check since the engine got hot enough to trip a warning?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Dry the engine down and you'll see the leak. If you thinks it's the thermostat housing, you can see it behind the intake manifold, from the right, and the coolant will be leaking down the front.

Other spots are to look for a cracked reservoir and heater hoses leaking inside or outside the car.

As far as what else, as long as this is the first time it happened, and you immediately pulled over and let the engine cool down, I don't think you'll have an issue, but you can always do a compression test if you have numbers from before to compare them to.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Tee on the upper radiator hose is the #1 coolant leak spot. It's not far from the thermostat housing. Tstat housing is plastic and known to crack as well, though.

If it were me, I'd start taking it apart... should be pretty easy to find a leak that big.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Water pump is leaking...I had a similar experience and learnt the hard and expensive way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tee on the upper radiator hose is the #1 coolant leak spot. It's not far from the thermostat housing. Tstat housing is plastic and known to crack as well, though.

If it were me, I'd start taking it apart... should be pretty easy to find a leak that big.
This. Octopus hose is like bio degradable material. Even if it looks like it's not leaking, it likely has a crack and the coolant runs down the transmission falling down sometimes nowhere near the actual leak.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Dang dude, Waterpump.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Check the condition of the belts and that when you're in there doing the pump.

How many miles were on the pump? Just curious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Is the fact that the fluid drains immediately when pouring it in point to the water pump? The reason I ask is that I had the timing belt and water pump changed 4 years ago. The car has over 100K miles. I need a new coolant reservoir for sure because mine has a sizable crack in it, and I'm hoping maybe a silicone hose replacement will do the trick. Obviously the serpentine belt is in bad shape and should be replaced with a new belt and tentioner.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Is the fact that the fluid drains immediately when pouring it in point to the water pump?
Not at all! There are tons of other places for it to come out. :D

I'd actually guess that if it comes out truly immediately, that it's someplace else. Have you lifted the overflow reservoir to check the underside for cracks, and/or the upper hose there for its connection to the hard line behind the engine? That would be my first guess based on the drips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've lifted the reservoir tank, but the leak on the tank is on the top side. The fluid will flow through the reservoir to the drain hose and leak somewhere down stream from the hose. I'm having a hard time seeing where the hose goes once its behind the engine which is why its so hard to find the leak. I'm traveling for work right now, but when I get home, I'm going to try to use a mirror to get eyes on the leak.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Even if it is not leaking coolant from the crack in the top of the tank, that can cause an issue. If the system is not holding pressure (ie pressure leaking through crack) then it will boil over at a lower temperature and flow out the overflow on the tank.

By the way, when you replace the tank, replace the cap with a genuine Volvo cap. I've has issues with even name brand caps not holding pressure and the coolant boiling over.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
There is coolant flow to:
The turbo (backside of leak - unless fluid can run uphill and around the block)
The oil cooler (below leak in the pan - lower than the block half so again would have to go uphill)
The block itself (water pump and reservoir and reservoir hose are on that side)
The radiator (no hose runs that side - just in front of the engine and then on the drivers side and backside of the engine).

If your stuff is going down the drain hose and into the block and then coming out and dripping off the crankshaft pulley it's got bad juju upstream. Pop off some covers and start searchin - hope its something simple. - better than a hole in the head.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Did you ever find your leak?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Replace the serpentine belt TOOT SWEET... Some owners have had a failed serpentine belt get wrapped around the crank pulley, causing timing belt failure and big $$$ damage.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 2005 S60 developed a leak in the radiator itself, at 105,000 miles. The leak was down low and I was never able to actually see the crack in the plastic radiator panel. A new radiator was installed, and since then, no coolant loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 07 V50 just developed a slow leak a couple weeks ago. I removed the airbox (PITA!) for further inspection. The T in the upper hose was dry. It looks like the leak is coming from the lower drivers side corner of the radiator. It doesn’t leak if the car is off. It only drips a little after the car has been running. Currently in the process of replacing the radiator and all the coolant hoses with the IPD kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
S40 COOLANT LEAK Sounds like your leak should not be too hard to find. However while you are looking for coolant leaks go to passenger side under glove compartment and pull the carpet down and check the coolant tubes where they go thru the firewall to the heater core. There are disconnect fittings there that have the the old 25 cent "O" that goes bad very slowly and leak coolant. You will notice just below the hoses is a distribution panel that has a central electronic module (CEM) that will be damaged by leaking coolant. Replacing and re-programming this module will set you back a grand or two. This is one of those things that will not occur to you to look for when you add a few ounces of antifreeze. You can make a plastic cover from a soda or milk container that will protect the module. wont look pretty but will save you big bucks in the future if you have this problem

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
..haroniexc, would you happen to have a picture of a protective cover? I took a peek under the dash but am not sure what to build.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts