SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Swedespeed. I've got a fairly major coolant leak from my car (2005 S40 T5 AWD 131K miles) now, which I discovered when my car got very warm once. Now, I haven't popped my hood (besides to add coolant and to check my dipstick for any signs of coolant) because it's minus 10 F here, But I will look at it soon. Is there anything I should expect or know about? Could it be the thermostat? I think there is a puddle of coolant under the car because it isn't a frozen puddle and it's below 0. Also, about a month ago we replaced the old cracked reserve tank for a new one.

As for the clutch issue, a couple of times this has happened-when I depress the clutch but it wont come back up by itself. The first time it happened I was just backing out of my driveway, and the clutch pedal only came about halfway up, causing me to stall. The pedal retracted less and less until it wouldn't move at all until I reached down and pulled it out myself. I then restarted the car and it was fine. Then and the other couple times it happened it was only at the very beginning before I got going, after that it's fine. I also just bring up the clutch with my big toe if it is slow to retract. Could I be low on clutch fluid? Is my slave cylinder dying?

And this is a Chicago car with relatively high miles, so do you think the clutch is original or replaced? And could you get by without replacing the flywheel too? The grap point is lower than I recall when I bought it in July....

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Since you just replaced the expansion tank your coolant leak is most likely the radiator hose. Hard to see with air box in place but the plastic joints (above left yellow arrow) are prone to leaking about this point in your car's life. Don't want to give bad news but the clutch is definitely a slave issue. There are updated Volvo components which will prevent this in the future. The transmission will have to come out to the replace the slave so a clutch job is in your future. I would replace the whole works including the flywheel. Clutch is almost assuredly original. You might extend the life a bit by flushing the clutch fluid but things usually go downhill pretty quickly once the stuck pedal issue shows up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you just replaced the expansion tank your coolant leak is most likely the radiator hose. Hard to see with air box in place but the plastic joints (above left yellow arrow) are prone to leaking about this point in your car's life. Don't want to give bad news but the clutch is definitely a slave issue. There are updated Volvo components which will prevent this in the future. The transmission will have to come out to the replace the slave so a clutch job is in your future. I would replace the whole works including the flywheel. Clutch is almost assuredly original. You might extend the life a bit by flushing the clutch fluid but things usually go downhill pretty quickly once the stuck pedal issue shows up.
Thank you.

Now, for an awful development: I just snapped this pic. The oil fil in the valve cover was loose (stupid plastic cover:rolleyes:) so I went to tighten it and found this crap:

See the peach covered crud on the inside of the cover? Do I have coolant in my oil? I checked my oil via the dipstick and it looks fine, but this definitely isn't good.

F**k. Now I want to dump the car. Should have just coughed up and bought a TSX instead of cheapening out.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
If the oil in your oilpan is that color, then yes, you have a blown headgasket or a cracked head. If it's not that color, then it's just condensation on the top of the motor from the heat.

There are also some easy ways to replace the slave cylinder and bleed the system, search youtube. Usually if you push it down and it doesn't come back up, it's that the slave has failed.

You may not have to replace the flywheel. If I am recalling my conversation with the dealership, they are a "lifetime" part, meaning they last their lifetime and are not expected to last the life of the car. That being said, unless you have a failing one, or want to bust out a thousand bucks for a new one, as long as the one in your car works well and doesn't cause any kind of crazy vibrations, it's safe to reuse on a new clutch job.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Don't despair, normal Winter condensation.

Too much risk in my opinion to not replace flywheel. Guess it depends how long you plan on keeping it. A plus to new flywheel is you don't need the special tool to "reset" it. Might save you the $1000 right there to utilize an independent shop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the oil in your oilpan is that color, then yes, you have a blown headgasket or a cracked head. If it's not that color, then it's just condensation on the top of the motor from the heat.

There are also some easy ways to replace the slave cylinder and bleed the system, search youtube. Usually if you push it down and it doesn't come back up, it's that the slave has failed.

You may not have to replace the flywheel. If I am recalling my conversation with the dealership, they are a "lifetime" part, meaning they last their lifetime and are not expected to last the life of the car. That being said, unless you have a failing one, or want to bust out a thousand bucks for a new one, as long as the one in your car works well and doesn't cause any kind of crazy vibrations, it's safe to reuse on a new clutch job.
Thanks. Yeah, the Oil looks fine and after starting another thread where I usually hang out (vwvortex) I'm pretty much set on it just being some condensation.

I do know that it is a dual mass flywheel and should be replaced, but I could get by without it (like my friend who has a G37)

Don't despair, normal Winter condensation.

Too much risk in my opinion to not replace flywheel. Guess it depends how long you plan on keeping it. A plus to new flywheel is you don't need the special tool to "reset" it. Might save you the $1000 right there to utilize an independent shop.
I usually get bored with my cars well within 18 months. 2000 GLX VR6<2001 IS300<2005 S40 T5. I get all my work done at an independent shop ran by a family member of mine. I'd skip replacing the flywheel if I could get by without.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts