SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Woke up to a puddle of coolant under the car. I had to take my daughter to school, so I popped the hood and topped off the expansion tank. Drove the car for 20 minutes to drop my daughter off and parked the car at work. At lunch time, I checked the car and some coolant leaked out coolant level was between MAX and MIN. Not so bad so I topped it off again and drove the dealer to buy a new expansion tank thinking this is the problem and some coolant.

I had everything ready to go tonight but when I popped and hood and checked carefully, it appears to be leaking on the driver side. It is near the what I think is the thermostat. The part sits right under the air filter. It was hard to see, but I think it is the part below. I believe it is also cracked. Can someone help me identify this part and has this happened to anybody else?

What is strange is that after work, the car barely leaked after I came back from the dealer and after I came home. Car is parked in the garage during the day and night.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
That would be your upper radiator hose. What you have circled is it's bonded "T" connection. Hopefully you have a manual transmission. The hose is 10 -15$ cheaper & much easier to install.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I have a GT. At least my airbox is out already. I'm not very sure if this is the broken part but that's as far I could trace it back to.

Thanks for the info. I'm headed to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
T-stat while your in there with low coolant?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You recommend changing out the thermostat too? I was thinking about it but noticed it was $68 online and probably $100 at the dealer. Man, what happened to $2-3 thermostats.

After thinking about it, I think I'm going to diagnose a little before preceding. It could be spraying from somewhere lower and spraying upwards. I'm going to clean things up this weekend and see if I can find the source.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You recommend changing out the thermostat too? I was thinking about it but noticed it was $68 online and probably $100 at the dealer. Man, what happened to $2-3 thermostats.

After thinking about it, I think I'm going to diagnose a little before preceding. It could be spraying from somewhere lower and spraying upwards. I'm going to clean things up this weekend and see if I can find the source.
They're still out there! Just not Volvo. I posed it as a question for a reason though, don't take it as my advice, just an idea, while you're in there. I don't think thermostat problems are common.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You can get them for most vehicles still but how often do you want to replace one? Regardless of how expensive OEM ones are I always buy them because the originals usually last at least 100k miles. I've used Stant and other cheap brands but they've all failed within a year or 2. On my previous vehicles, not a big deal. On my Rodeo the t'stat is UNDER the intake manifold (wtf were they thinking?) so the less it needs replaced the better. I'm sure its not that easy on the Volvo either.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the OEM thermostat for about $20. Not too bad. The previous price included the housing also. Doesn't look hard to replace. You can see it to the left of the part I circled.

Part number for the thermostat: 30713572

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for future reference, the part that I circled above is indeed the problem. That plastic connector is not supposed to be cracked. Because it is cracked, the seal on the hose is not strong enough to hold the pressure. To replace the part, you have to replace the whole upper hose kit. Fortunately it's not crazy expensive. It's $33 at FCP Euro with free shipping. The part number is 30723082. The link below is to FP Euro where I ordered mine. There is also an image of what it looks like.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-radiator-hose-upper-c30-c70-s40-v50-30723082

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
IPD - will have most of what You need .

IPD - should be much better Price on most of what You need - especially the Stat .

Good Time to Change Coolant - get the Pre-Mixed Stuff from Volvo - Cool Blue .

First Time - We have seen one do this on SS .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Woke up to a puddle of coolant under the car. I had to take my daughter to school, so I popped the hood and topped off the expansion tank. Drove the car for 20 minutes to drop my daughter off and parked the car at work. At lunch time, I checked the car and some coolant leaked out coolant level was between MAX and MIN. Not so bad so I topped it off again and drove the dealer to buy a new expansion tank thinking this is the problem and some coolant.

I had everything ready to go tonight but when I popped and hood and checked carefully, it appears to be leaking on the driver side. It is near the what I think is the thermostat. The part sits right under the air filter. It was hard to see, but I think it is the part below. I believe it is also cracked. Can someone help me identify this part and has this happened to anybody else?

What is strange is that after work, the car barely leaked after I came back from the dealer and after I came home. Car is parked in the garage during the day and night.

hey i was wonder. what kind of volvo you have. im having the same issue. i replace the coolant tank twice and the rubber tubing that connect to it. but never the Radiator Hose...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts