SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour a tous,

Having lived with a xc 70 for a while with little or no DIY technical info about, I came across this site, hopefully some Oracle can put me on the right path.

I noticed a drop in coolant level with no obvious signs of where from. After clambering around and eventually removing the lower splash guard, armed with torch and mirror I found a coolant track which seems to be coming from around the turbo area. Christ, it's tight in that space. and I couldn't quite get a good Mk 1 eyeballing of the area to pin point the problem, but it seems to be coming from one of the pipes going to/from the turbo.
Now, I assume that to get access to this space to do anything the Bevel/angle box has to come out to gain access to do anything around the turbo/area. If anyone has any pointers as to a way ahead before I proceed any further, I would gratefully welcome it.
Regards
Russ t.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Bonjour a tous,

Having lived with a xc 70 for a while with little or no DIY technical info about, I came across this site, hopefully some Oracle can put me on the right path.

I noticed a drop in coolant level with no obvious signs of where from. After clambering around and eventually removing the lower splash guard, armed with torch and mirror I found a coolant track which seems to be coming from around the turbo area. Christ, it's tight in that space. and I couldn't quite get a good Mk 1 eyeballing of the area to pin point the problem, but it seems to be coming from one of the pipes going to/from the turbo.
Now, I assume that to get access to this space to do anything the Bevel/angle box has to come out to gain access to do anything around the turbo/area. If anyone has any pointers as to a way ahead before I proceed any further, I would gratefully welcome it.
Regards
Russ t.
Here's a decent write up and some sources

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71167

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're certain that's where the leak is, congrats for finding the problem. Maybe if the loss is very insignificant, you just add coolant every now and then and watch the level closely?

Another source for coolant loss is the heater core inside your cabin. If that's the case, you can check to see if the carpet under your driver or pass side floormats is wet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything else is tight and dry, as I will be whacking on the mileage in the next few months I would like to solve the issue rather than risk something going pop !
As I haven't got pixie hands, there's no way on this earth that I can get in there, so, on that note has anyone dropped the angle gear/bevel box to gain access ? if so, what's required, any tips or a write up to follow as there's little or no info that I can find without going to the stealers who take great pleasure in ripping us off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts