SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So basicly i have to drain out the current coolant in my R and i cant wait monday to buy volvo coolant because i have to use my R this weekend, i also do not want to buy it because they overprice it here.

Edit: I will be buying Zerex G-05 Premixed 50-50 from walmart tomorrow.

Can someone do a quick write-up for me to use or is mine appropriate ?, i need to do this asap so if anyone is reading this please dont hesitate.

Correct me if iam wrong please:

Edit: When caR is cold loosen the coolant plug and drain it completely. Close the plug and add prestone super flush into reservoir tank, pour distilled water until it reaches full cold mark and start the car with heater all the way up high for 8-10 minutes until operating temp reached. Let the car cool down and drain everything again and close back the plug, flush once more with only full distilled water and let the car run for 8 minutes with heater on. Drain again and repeat if necessary with distilled water. When the car has cooled again i can add the 5050 zerex g-05 to full cold mark, drive the car around and check the level of coolant and top off when necessary.

When i'am done with the flush, how exactly do i bleed the air out completely ? This is where i'am a bit confused.

Thanks so much in advance guys !

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zerex G-05 from Walmart. Comes in straight or 50/50. Ok for use in Volvo because it's HOAT
I will be buying that tomorrow in 50-50 premix, thanks for sharing, do you also think that the procedure i'am about to do is correct ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fill the cooling system as much as possible including the tank. Start the engine and idle to bring to normal temperature, the thermostat opens. Squeeze the upper hose to expel any air. Leave the tank cap off or at least loosened so no pressure will develop. Shut off engine and allow to cool. Additional coolant may be drawn from the tank into the system. When cool, top off tank to normal range. Drive normally and watch the level for a few days.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flush is done and everything went good, coolant is now very clean and clear in the system.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm getting ready to do this in my 06 VR in the coming days. I searched a found various threads that have some information, but is there a full video or sticky on how to flush the system, perhaps even using a flush cleaner product, from start to finish?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Flushing is EASY! Spend some time on you tube looking at vids, then come back here for Volvo spec info.

Given how little corrosion I see beacuse of the long life OE Volvo coolant, you should be fine with the flush in a bottle from Walmart its Prestone brand.

While you are there buy some gallon bottles of Distilled water GV brand are $.88 a gallon. You can use them for the flush and mixing the new coolant.

Once you have the flush read the back, I think it says to dain some coolant then add the flush. You turn want to start the car and let it run until the car is fully heated up (coolant temp gauge in the middle) with the heat on high. This lets the flush product run through the heater core. You will want the car to run for 5-10 minutes once the car is fully warmed up.

Once you have run the flush you can begin to dump it. Get some plastic containers to catch the old coolant. There is a plastic drain in the bottom of the OEM radiator you can open to drain coolant. I also pull one of the coolant hoses off to let it drain, but this is not required. You want to keep flushing until there are no bubbles, and the all of the fluid in the cooling system is clear Distilled water. You want to drain some water then run the car some, drain some water then run the car more ect.

Once there you can then drain some water and add coolant (I prefer pentafrost NF). Until you have 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. You may have some bubbles trapped in the cooling system, I keep an eye on the level for the next couple of days.

Flushing the coolant is one of the easiest things you can do on these cars, it's not hard at all just time consuming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts