SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently performed a coolant flush on my 1980 242 and everything went great. I drained the radiator from the bottom hose connection rather than the stopcock as others have advised on this forum, and everything went great.

Later on, I mentioned this to a mechanic friend of mine and he asked me if I bled the air out of the coolant afterward and I had to look at him stupidly. What should I have done and where (if I screwed up), and should I do something now that its run well for two months?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Put the heater knob full on, remove the cap on the coolant reservoir, and let the engine idle a few minutes past when the thermostat opens. If the level in the reservoir goes down or stays level it means that you've had some air pockets but they're working their way out, and if the level rises you probably don't have any. The next time you do a flush, open the drain tap on the engine as well as the lower rad hose to drain all of the old coolant. While the drain tap is draining get a piece of small round wood or plastic and poke around in the hole to flush out any crap in there. When re-filling, again with the heater knob full on, slowly add coolant until it comes out of the drain tap, close it, and then slowly add more coolant until you get a reading on the bottom line of the coolant reservoir, start the engine, and then slowly add more coolant until the thermostat opens and level rises to the top line, then stop and re-install the cap and close the heater knob if the weather is warm. There is still a small possibility of air pockets, so check the coolant level again after a few days of driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the detailed answer! I will check the levels tomorrow and hopefully I won't need to come back and report bad things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts