SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I would like to drain the original coolant from my 99 soon. May I asked
the technical wizards here on the 850 board what they are using on their 850's, OEM or Peak, Prestone, etc.

Peak Extended Life w/ No phosphates looks like a nice choice.
It's a nice Orange Ethyl Glyco.

And how often?

I've asked a few peple and they say you better use OEM in Volvo cars.

Any recommendations.

ty

rd 99 c70

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Coolant Change ! OEM or The Others (RD)

You should change your coolant every 20,000 miles or 2 years is the recommended time frame. Volvo likes to recommend to use OEM coolant and make sure to get a 50/50 mixture.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Coolant Change ! OEM or The Others (doublej95)

I have been draining mine every season, In the summer I run Water, small amount of prestone, and RedLine Watter Wetter. That water wetter stuff works very well, I have been impressed with the difference it makes, I would say its claims are close to right on. However you cant run that in the winter, the engine coolant will freeze up. So then I go with Prestone, water, and a small amount of the redline water wetter. It works for me. If you want to be more conventional, I would use the basic formula I use in the winter year round, its not as effective, but you can use it in the winter. I should probably qualify what I mean when I say small amount, I use a full bottle of the redline in the winter, however in the summer its closer to a 50/50 mixture of the redline and water, slightly less redline so I can add the prestone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts