SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered the threads for the coolant/PCV line wrapping under the intake to the right side of the head are stripped out (likely my fault over tightening trying to cure the huge leak), the bolt will go in without the banjo fitting, but it's too short with it on. I've heard the port can just be plugged up, not really sure how to go about repairing the threads for this. I'd prefer not to trash the whole head, compression is great and I'm about to hit 200k. This PCV design has me messed up. Perhaps a helicoil will work, not sure about thread sizing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
get your old bolt and put a slight taper on the tip. then get either a file or a dremel or something to cut groove at 4 places (90*) perpendicular to the threads. there you've made a re threader. use some lube and go back and forth slowly till its smooth in and out.

actually thats good advice for a few situations i can think of :D

good luck
matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
get your old bolt and put a slight taper on the tip. then get either a file or a dremel or something to cut groove at 4 places (90*) perpendicular to the threads. there you've made a re threader. use some lube and go back and forth slowly till its smooth in and out.

actually thats good advice for a few situations i can think of :D

good luck
matt
Brilliant! Hopefully after retapping that with the old bolt you’ll have enough material left in the threads for a tight seal. Also if you need another bolt for the head, I have my 2 old bolts in my garage now, so PM me of you want them no cost.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried to do that, the first few threads are so messed up the bolt won’t thread on. It’ll thread fine without the fitting as it has enough clearance to reach clean threads. Im going to use a slightly longer banjo bolt from belmetric and hope that works... if not I’m just gonna upsize it with a new fitting on the coolant line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts