SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed it. Nothing on the ground. I haven't been paying attention to it that much. 86,000 miles. Everything seems to be just fine. My question is, do I really need to order the Volvo brand and have it shipped up here? I assume I only need about a quart if that. Can I supplement with another brand mixed to 50/50?

The only s40 m66 in Wyoming

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would buy the correct coolant. When I buy a used car, I always buy the proper power steering fluid, coolant, and a qt of tranny fluid to have on hand just in case. Its an investment. You won't have to scramble to find it when you need it.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In a pinch you can throw in distilled water to top off to the min line, then fill with proper stuff. It's not so much using genuine Volvo coolant, as it is to not mix different coolants.

·
Registered
957 Posts
At 86,000 miles your due for a coolant flush & fill. I'd get two gallons of Volvo coolant and change it. My S40 had very dirty/rusty coolant by 75,000 miles when I changed coolant. At 135,000 miles it's still very clean.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Dont do it now if your going to get the timing belt done very soon. But i assume youve got some miles left before you do that.
If you can find OEM BMW coolant that'll work as well. I believe its exactly the same, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just noticed it. Nothing on the ground. I haven't been paying attention to it that much. 86,000 miles. Everything seems to be just fine. My question is, do I really need to order the Volvo brand and have it shipped up here? I assume I only need about a quart if that. Can I supplement with another brand mixed to 50/50?
Hi!

I have this strange symptom of having the coolant level always 1-2cm below the low line of the tank.
I have filled it several times and the coolant seems to drop to the same level everytime in couple of months.

I have not found any leaks and there has been no increase in oil level, temperatures ok. Anyone got tips what to look for?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Hi!

I have this strange symptom of having the coolant level always 1-2cm below the low line of the tank.
I have filled it several times and the coolant seems to drop to the same level everytime in couple of months.

I have not found any leaks and there has been no increase in oil level, temperatures ok. Anyone got tips what to look for?
You don't say what year but if it's early or high mileage check the radiator hose. It's not an uncommon 100K maintenance item.
Check the plastic junction pictured here with the airbox removed. Just above left yellow arrow.

Pic courtesy of aldebaran

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's where my hose split, and I noticed low levels before it all went to hell. Replace the hose before its too late. Learn from my grief.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks guys. My coolant has been disappearing slowly and I couldn't find where it was. I saw this thread and went to check it out. Woopdidoo, there it is. The T-line is cracked and I can see coolant on it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm surprised you can't smell it even with a hairline crack. I just replaced a Honda radiator with a hairline crack and I could smell the coolant when I popped the hood.

As others have noted: distilled water isn't going to hurt for now, and order a container of the correct coolant. I bought a jug of it, it's sitting in my shed un-used for the day that I start losing coolant (hopefully never).

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't say what year but if it's early or high mileage check the radiator hose. It's not an uncommon 100K maintenance item.
Check the plastic junction pictured here with the airbox removed. Just above left yellow arrow.

Pic courtesy of aldebaran

I'll check this as soon as I can. Thanks for the tip.
The strange part of this issue is that the coolant level never drops more than 1-2cm below the low mark. The draining stops there.
My V50 is 2004 2.0D with 180k km driven with it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Don't know if the diesel uses this type of bonded juncture hose. I think it's a 5 cylinder thing. It never hurts to look though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe I'm not seeing it, but can you confirm the model for this picture? I have a 2005 S40 T5 with the same symptoms. I'm seeing drips on the ground but haven't found the source yet.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Any 5 cylinder looks like this. It is hard to see with the airbox in place & thus why it's commonly overlooked. Here is another pic to help you see where to inspect. Suspect joint is between two far right circles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I see now, thanks. That's the side of the car where I seem to be dripping too :) . I'll post my findings. Now to find instructions on airbox removal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts