SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share my experience with this iphone app call Rev. Rev is a performance meter and diagnostics code reader that works via a wireless OBDII unit that sends the info wirelessly to your iphone which displays the data in a choice of very nice gauges and graphs on the iphone screen! It also measures g-forces and acceleration using the phone's accelerometer function. You can record data and email it to your computer for making graphs etc.

The wireless reader consists of an approx. 3 foot long cable that hooks into the OBDII port. The other end fits into the small wireless transmitter box-thing. It can be tucked under or along side the driver seat. They have a variety of wireless OBDII units available.

Set up is not difficult and it takes less than 5 minutes out of the box to get up and running.

Graphics on the screen look great. You have a choice between a round faced gauge display that can automatically zoom into the area being covered by the needle if you prefer (see the videos that show that feature). The alternative choice is a line graph that shows peaks and trough over time.

Not all data parameters are measurable by the reader. So, I'm sure many of you are wondering about boost... drum roll... it can not measure boost in our cars. But I asked if they could get the unit to read boost off of our volvos and they said they were taking manufacturer-specific requests...so i figure if we get enough interested Volvo owners, we may convince them to get this thing to read boost. The gauge on the iphone looks great and would make a very nice portable boost gauge that could be used in any car (post-1996)!

Here's what it will measure on my Volvo from that long list of parameters:

air intake temp
barometric pressure
calculated engine load
eng. coolant temp
fuel consumption (instantaneous and avg mpg)
fuel pressure
fuel trim (long B1)
fuel trim (short B1)
(the above 2 are AFR measures)
mass air flow
rpm
throttle position
timing advance
veh. speed

acceleration, lateral and forward g forces
gps track measurements.

It can not read:

boost psi
evap pressure
fuel level
intake manifold pressure
some other fuel trim values

Here is the website for more info:

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/index.html

Some youtube videos:

It's really a cool app for you tuners and gizmo geeks.

Modified by fletcher33 at 1:16 AM 3-21-2009

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that the diag. code reader works... I got a CEL which Rev showed was a MAF sensor code issue... damn K&N oiled filter?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (mad matt)

I'm using the ElmCan one. I bought it a couple weeks ago before the other two were being sold. Not sure if there's much of a difference in the abilities of the obdII plugins besides appearance...?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Cool performance data logger and diagnostics code reader! (fletcher33)

Hey Fletcher,

Is there any way you could pop open the OBD to WLAN module and take a few pictures of the chips inside? So that maybe I could try to build a lower cost homebrew module! I am trying to do that now, but I am not sure about exactly how I should go about doing that to retain maximum cross compatibility!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (s40boy)

I bought it when the iPhone app was $49 and the wireless obdII unit was $229... So about $280 ... But recently they dropped the app price to $39 and came out with cheaper wireless units (less than $200). Still cheaper and better functioning/looking than an auterra unit.

I'll look at the unit and see if I can safely open it without damaging it... I'll go look a bit later.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (fletcher33)

I haven't taken any photos of my phone's graphs but they look very vivid and colorful. There are some YouTube videos floating around besides the ones put out by the company.

edit: here's another video showing some of the screen views:

Modified by fletcher33 at 12:23 PM 3-21-2009

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: Cool performance data logger and diagnostics code reader! (fletcher33)

Quote, originally posted by fletcher33 »

fuel trim (long B1)
fuel trim (short B1)
(the above 2 are AFR measures)
Unfortunately no, the fuel trim is not at all AFR. They're correction factors between what the ECU commanded and what the measured result was. Basically adjustments for air measurement, fuel injector metering, etc.

You can read the raw A/F mixture with OBDII, on the so-called "extended pids" (which are not proprietary). I'm a little surprised the app doesn't do that. My Palm app does!

Tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.