SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the region of the region of the front fender immediately above the wheel arches becomes incredibly hot (almost untouchable sometimes) on our silver XC90 V8 after about half an hour or so of city driving. This happens under normal driving conditions (i.e. not driving like Fangio). I assume this is due to large rotors having to stop 5000LB of vehicle + passengers.<p>My concern is that the excessive heat may eventually cause failure of rubber brake hoses and or electronic components that might be in the engine compartment close to the front wheel wells. <p>Anyone else notice this ?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: cook an egg on your front fender (safetyfirst)

Are the rotors hot? Put your hand down in front of the wheel, don't go reaching in to touch anything! <p>In 1/2 hour of city driving, it's very unlikely this is the brakes. but who knows. In any case, everything under the hood is engineered to withstand the temperatures there. Is your radiator fan working properly (engine not overheating)?<p>Tom.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: cook an egg on your front fender (tmtalpey)

<p>You will need to check, but I bet that the heat fron the engine can get to that area. Brakes would have to be red-hot to cause that. Slow in town driving doiesnt let the engine compartment vent as easily as on the freeway..

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>tmtalpey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are the rotors hot? Put your hand down in front of the wheel, don't go reaching in to touch anything! <p>In 1/2 hour of city driving, it's very unlikely this is the brakes. but who knows. In any case, everything under the hood is engineered to withstand the temperatures there. Is your radiator fan working properly (engine not overheating)?<p>Tom.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>The heat appears to be localized to a spot directly above the rotos on each of the front fenders. There's no evidence of engine overheating - i.e. temp guage right in the middle where it always is, and no excessive cycling of cooling fan. When I dropped off the car at the dealership yesterday to get the tie-rod ends done, another V8 '90 pulled in behind me. It had the same phenotype; i.e. same hot spots on the fenders over hte rotors. My service manager said he'd had two or three other owners comment on the same issue. He couldn't recall whether there was a correlation between V8 owners, or whether all '90's presented with this effect. <p>I'm not so concerned about the heat having an effect on the rotors or pads. I'm more concerned about the possible effects on rubber components, or on electronics.<p>A propos, I mentioned to my service manager that there were ceramic pads in the back of the car in case the car (11,000 miles) required them. He whispered that everyone at the dealership had been brain-washed to using Volvo parts, but he'd get them put on if necessary. He said that on average folks needed new pads on a '90 anywhere from 8000 miles to 35,000, with 16k being about average in his experience for OC drivers. He also said that in his experience the OEM Michelin's last between 8k (if you're a tire scrubber) to 25k if you're a free-way driver.<p>So, have any other V8, T5 or T6 owners noticed the red hot spot on top of the front fenders ?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>safetyfirst</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, have any other V8, T5 or T6 owners noticed the red hot spot on top of the front fenders ?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Not on this 2.5T.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
592 Posts

<br>Does your v8 have wheel skirting? A plastic liner inside the fender well... If so, the heat is not from<br>the wheels, it is from the engine. The rotors would have to be red hot to transfer that much heat, and the wheels at the lugs would be VERY hot also.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Our T6 has this as well. After about 3 hours of highway driving I pulled over for gas and touched both fenders directly above the wheel arches. They were so hot I could only keep my hands there for about 3 seconds.

·
Registered
498 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>safetyfirst</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>So, have any other V8, T5 or T6 owners noticed the red hot spot on top of the front fenders ?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I noticed it on our V8 too. The first time I checked, it got barely warm in 30 minutes of city driving. But after 60 minutes of stop and go commute yesterday, I checked the fenders again and found them to be very hot.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: cook an egg on your front fender (AccuView)

I just noticed it on mine tonight (2.5T).<p>Both sides were really hot but the driver's side seemed hottest. More specifically the hottest spot was on the top of the driver's side fender about half way between the centre of the wheel and the end of the fender (towards the back of the car). This was after a short city trip of about 20Km in pretty hot temps (32C and very humid).<p>LTA<br>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts