SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to swedespeed and to the Volvo world in general, and I'm looking for some advice on a new ride--so I come, humbly, to the Doorstep of The Learned (ie, you guy's).<p>Breakdown: I want a 850 wagon turbo 5-spd. I've been looking for a '98 V70 (like ipd's project car), but, as I'm sure you're all aware, they're hard to find. I'm not opposed to doing a tranny swap on turbo wagon but, how hard would it be to turbo a non-turbo that already has a 5-spd like this one (http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/ctd/1279933559.html)?<br>

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Re: Converting a non-turbo 850 to turbo (Tororojo)

- must lower the compression-ratio (if you bolt on a turbo without an engine swap)<br>- exhaust (downpipe)<br>- fuelpomp<br>- ECU (engine control unit)<br>- gearbox (otherwise you'll pass redline in 5th and will not reach max speed)<br>- Combipanel (to have boostgauge and higher maximum speed in cluster)<br>- ....<p>better look further for a real T5 (they can't be that expensive by now).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ok, so it's not as easy as bolting on a turbo. That's what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Tororojo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so it's not as easy as bolting on a turbo. That's what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yeah, you should keep your wagon, buy an 850 Turbo, and swap trannys.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

$2000 car.<br>Over $5000 to do the conversion, probably more<br>You do the math

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Adding a turbo to a non-turbo 850 is a bear. It would be easier and safer to by a T-5 auto and swap in a manual trans. Or, just find a v70 T5M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts