SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Haven't driven at night in forever, and with the days getting shorter, I'm reminded how marginal the standard halogen headlights are for this car.

Would like to convert the car to factory Active Dual Xenon Headlights w/Active Bending Lights.

Anyone else attempted this? Does anyone have a parts list? Where's the best place to source (what I'm guessing) is a lengthy OEM shopping list? Approximate cost?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think the cars with Xenon/ABL lamps are wired differently than the halogen cars. You would need new lamps (probably $1500ea side), plus level sensors, software, etc. The cost would be huge, especially compared to the option price when originally built.

·
Registered
745 Posts
3 things you'd need.

First the oem lights. Dealer = around $1,500 per side as mentioned.

Second the wiring harnesses as they are different.

Finally the software upgrade.

I inquired with our dealer when we bought ours and they basically stated if you bought halogen it would not be worth the cost to convert it to the xenon later. Only affordable option would be a projector retrofit which wouldn't obviously include the active bending light.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm afraid the only reasonable option is finding a used one with the options you now want, and selling/trading in your current one to purchase it. Probably cost less and be more reliable than attempting a retrofit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh! Not at all the answers I was hoping for. Not your fault...you didn't design them!

Not being able to see where I'm going seems like a fairly major safety issue. I'm a little surprised the base halogens aren't better.

Anyone else done anything aftermarket that they're happy with?

Other bulbs (that don't burn out in three months), aftermarket projectors, adding driving lights (license plate bracket?)

I've seen quite a few posts for volvo and other makes about swapping the H11 low beam bulbs for H9 bulbs.

Anyone done this mod and recommend doing the same?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm surprised that the standard halogens are that bad. There's no way they're as bad as the xenons on the P2 S60R. Those were frankly dangerous.

I have to say that the dual xenons on the xc60 are excellent, though the ABL function is made almost useless by the fact that the light is already so good.

Somebody on here has put an off road LED light bar into the lower grille opening of a Volvo, not an xc60 but I assume it might fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ugh! Not at all the answers I was hoping for. Not your fault...you didn't design them!

Not being able to see where I'm going seems like a fairly major safety issue. I'm a little surprised the base halogens aren't better.

Anyone else done anything aftermarket that they're happy with?

Other bulbs (that don't burn out in three months), aftermarket projectors, adding driving lights (license plate bracket?)

I've seen quite a few posts for volvo and other makes about swapping the H11 low beam bulbs for H9 bulbs.

Anyone done this mod and recommend doing the same?
I have done the H9 to H11 mod, and am currently running it on my S40. Light output is noticeably improved. I also properly aimed the headlights via a simplified version of this; http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html, so the combination of the two efforts have resulted in a nice night driving experience. Many will recommend to use the typical philips H9 bulbs for this modification for the brightest results. I wanted brighter results along with a whiter light, so knowing I would sacrifice some increase in brightness for light color (temp), I went with the Mtec Super White H9 (claimed 4350K) instead:

I also have the halogen headlights on my XC60, and I replaced the stock low beam bulbs with the Philips Crystalvision Ultra bulbs, and they are a decent increase in white color temp (still clearly halogen color though), and didn't seem to reduce any in illumination from the stock halogens, like some have reported from Philips Diamondvision or similar. I also aimed the headlights on the XC60, and night road lighting is plenty sufficient, so much so that I have not wanted/needed to do the H9 conversion on those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts