SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am obsessed with C70s for some reason and so far I've had two Mk1 coupes and a Mk2 recently. My biggest complaint with all the ones I've had is the amount of rattles/squeaks from the car and way the car shakes and shudders over bumps in the road.

I've seen a MK1 C70 2.4T convertible for sale which looks beautiful but I'm worried about living with it. Is there anything that annoys people who own one? I've heard about water leaks from the door mirrors but is there anything else like gaps between the roof and windows.... or the pilarless windows not closing correctly etc?

Are the convertibles rattly/squeaky at all?

·
Registered
113 Posts
All the issues that come with a convertible are all worth it. Mine rattles a bit, leaks once in a while, if its parked on a certain angle. Gets filthy as hell driving with the top down. I sometimes park under a tree in my driveway, and birds crap on the leather.

The car is a tank though. I've not had a single problem with the top, or windows ( other than a rear window regulator, which can die in any car) I've had mine for 7 years. I find it more pleasurable to drive than my V70R. Its a nice cruising car.

Like all cars there are annoyances, I smoke cigars in mine, and for me to empty the ashtray I need to put the car into drive to pull it out, then back into park to go over to a garbage. I keep the windscreen in, but sometimes have to put large object into the back seat, and the power seats are brutal when sliding them forward for access. - Both are small annoyances

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Smoking cigars is your choice but you actually put ASHES in the ashtray?
That's disgusting and I smoke.
Unless you live in SoCal flick them out the window, they're biodegradable

·
Registered
785 Posts
If it bothers you that much I would try to get the newest C70 hard top coupe you can afford, 2002 for the US market. Have you added in body braces, these should help tighten up the structure ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
We've had ours for about a year now. No water leaks so far; but a fairly significant amount of wind noise when driving at highway speeds with the top up. Scuttle shake is pretty significant with the top up. It's still there with the top down, but you tend not to notice it too much then. The light gray interior of our car seems to get dirty really quickly. Those are about all of the faults I can find with the car so far.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I solved all the squeaks on mine with adjustments or lube. It wasn't bad at all, the principal squeaks it had were the glove box door (tightened by bending the wire latch) doors (lubed the door latches) and the rear plastic flip-up covers for the top mechanism (fixed with lube). The top and windows on mine were very well adjusted and sealed both for water and wind noise. Although to be fair, I almost never drove it with the top up or in the rain. I only put the top up when I got surprise rain. If there was any rain in the weather report I just didn't drive it.

I drove my dad's '01 over a holiday about a month ago and it had all of these squeaks in a bad way, and I lectured him on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with Kevin, JRL, and LloydDobler with everything that's been said before. I love my 04 HPT, and have tightened her up a bit with IPD sways, end links, strut bar and Konis. Am now considering a Downpipe and a chip, but the kids keep looking at me with that "when are you going to buy us some food" look in their eyes. Patience my darlings, patience.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I am obsessed with C70s for some reason and so far I've had two Mk1 coupes and a Mk2 recently. My biggest complaint with all the ones I've had is the amount of rattles/squeaks from the car and way the car shakes and shudders over bumps in the road.
If you think that your Mk1 coupes had rattles/squeaks then just forget the Mk1 convertible...

I had driven (and still) my coupé for 9 years and it's as quit as a mouse compared to my convertible (both lowered and with the 18" Triton's).
It shakes and shudders a lot more then the coupe over bumps in the road. So if that enoys you , just don't buy it.

I can live with it, and certainly with the roof open it is really a joy to drive and then you don't hear any of those rattles. And if you have some rattles, there are ways to minimize them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand your concerns. I've always driven German cars & my 04 C-70 is nothing like it.
Since buying the car a few months ago, I've added a strut tower & changed my '17 wheels to '16's & added a softer tire.
The sway bar is next.
It's a hard car for me to get use to since it harldy resembles by old 325 or my current VW GLI BUT today I drove 350 miles with the top
down & Tom Petty playing loud on the awesome stereo & the shimmer & shake harldy mattered.
Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Atta boy, nice to hear you had some extended cruising with the top down, I agree, nothin like it.

I do wonder, being a Volvo guy, what other German soft tops might deliver. That is, do all convertibles shimmy and shake like the C70 or am I missing something?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Atta boy, nice to hear you had some extended cruising with the top down, I agree, nothin like it.

I do wonder, being a Volvo guy, what other German soft tops might deliver. That is, do all convertibles shimmy and shake like the C70 or am I missing something?
Short answer: yes.

The longer answer is that almost all of them shimmy and shake to an extent. Although, to be honest, none of the ones I've driven have been a bad as the first generation C70. I have driven the second generation C70 as well and it also has scuttle shake, but not to the extent of the earlier ones.

You may notice the '87 VW convertible in my signature. It has a slight amount of shake to it, but is worlds better than the C70. I believe it is because the VW has a fixed roll bar at the center of the chassis that replaces a lot of the rigidity lost by removing the roof.

When all is said and done, I have come to accept scuttle shake as one of the tradeoffs you must make to be able to enjoy top down motoring.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There is a world of difference between Gen I and Gen II C70s; but we never experienced significant shimmy or shake in the '04 on the highway(except for that 50mph shimmy thing). At 80mph, it's solid as a rock.

Our '08 and '11 C70s don't have any sort of shake like that and except over the worst surfaces, feel dang solid. We don't have a lot of cobblestone out here in Texas, so maybe I'm not pushing the car like some folks. ;)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
There are definitely some convertibles that are better than others. My classic Saab 900 was really, really solid. The door sills were extremely high to reinforce the body, the door panels actually were blocked at the bottom by the sill. The only time I noticed it was flexible was when I parked with one wheel on the sidewalk and opening the passenger door hit the hood and chipped the paint.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The issue is torsional rigidity, which on unit body vehicles goes way down when the top structure is removed. I have a 65 Corvair convertible. On that car, GM added a sealed cannister at each corner of the car (trunk/engine compartment) that were filled with oil and buckshot. These dampers lowered the natural frequency of the body shake so it was less objectionable. I am always amused by that "solution".

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The C70 has those only they're a heavy steel block suspended in rubber. I found a pic, it's the black rectangle in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I solved all the squeaks on mine with adjustments or lube. It wasn't bad at all, the principal squeaks it had were the glove box door (tightened by bending the wire latch) doors (lubed the door latches) and the rear plastic flip-up covers for the top mechanism (fixed with lube). The top and windows on mine were very well adjusted and sealed both for water and wind noise. Although to be fair, I almost never drove it with the top up or in the rain. I only put the top up when I got surprise rain. If there was any rain in the weather report I just didn't drive it.

I drove my dad's '01 over a holiday about a month ago and it had all of these squeaks in a bad way, and I lectured him on it.
Lloyd, did you have a guide, or just lube and adjust as you saw fit? I haven't really checked out the workings of my vert yet. The rear flip-up covers on mine definitely need attention. = noisey

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I just applied lube to obvious rubbing spots until the squeaking went away. For plastic on plastic types of rubbing I use a dry or wax lube, like the solid grease sticks. Ideally you want to prevent the motion, but you can't always do it. Rattles you just need to adjust stuff until the parts aren't loose. Some things you can never solve but small quiet ones are usually easy. I've also resorted to using 3m adhesive foam tape to stop a rattle or two, particularly useful for wiring connectors that flop around in the doors and rattle with bass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts