SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone or anyone,

My wife and I switched to the 850 wagon. We did have a pontiac transport (like the montana) and I even rebuilt the dog of a motor myself, but it blew a gasket again, so we ditched it. My sister in law own an 850 sedan so we thought we'd try one like it. We found a good used one, and after a couple of bugs were worked out we are happy with it. One bug was the ABS. The module was not operating, but I found a guy called midwest modules in the US of A. He sell them cheap. The deal is he sends you a reconditioned one and you send him your non working but in nice shape one back and its all good. To swap it out is easy - he sends you the little tool which you return as well as your old unit. My Lambda light came on too but the local volvo mechanic said I can ignore it because nothing is registering on the computer reader. So...now I own 2 volvos. An Amazon 122s and the wagon. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome to the 855 club. I'm not in it myself...anymore. Throw up a picture we all like seeing each others rides. ABS is a common issue. Not sure what a Lambda light is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have heard about the O2 sensor. I may just take your advice and switch it out in the next few months. I saw a special wrench at the tool shop a couple weeks ago that's designed to fit the on to the sensor to undo it. Here is the car:

<p>
<p>

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looks good! Shinny and straight. Get some back to black on those bumpers!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't see it from the picture, but the dealer I bought it off left the car after a bunch of birds strafed it with droppings. The droppings have eaten spots of paint all over the front hood and roof. I was thinking of getting a re-spray done to tidy it up. The black stuff is a good idea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I bought the O2 sensor and the "special" wrench to take it out. I went to Lordco and they wanted $180.00 for it! Normally I go baa baa and pay but for some reason I blurted out I can get that off the net for way less!
The service person said how much less so I quoted around 123.00 plus shipping, so they lowered the price to pretty well match it! Yeah! Pays to speak up. Next days off its going in.

Rodger

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a "Mothers" product. But I am sure there are other makers. Also way to go on getting the price drop:).

Last time bird stuff hit my car it was from an owl and it left a baseball sized dent in my roof. :(

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Man, if you want to make those bumpers look like new, get some Showroom New or Forever Black. It's a plastic dye and will last for years. IPd sells it and other detail places.

Forever Black about a year after:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot about your paint. There is a chance that only the clear coat is stained. When I picked up my wagon, the paint was pretty rough. Now it looks real good. What I did was used some polishing compound on the rough spots and wet sanded the deep scratches. On the tough spots, I used my orbiter sander with the polishing compound. People always tell me how good my '95 looks.

Before I did the bumpers with Forever Black:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tips. I'll be trying to get to it next week. I'm taking a week off to depressurize from work. I've been looking after old folks for 22 years. I gotta pace myself because I'm not getting any younger.

Check out my 1969 122s amazon on a thread I started. Just painted the back brake plates.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uh oh! I need some help on this. I replaced the O2 sensor. Before I did the replacemnt it was running ok but the lambda light was on. Now that it is replaced the light is out but now it idles rough, backfires and hesitates like crazy on trying to accelerate an generally runs terrible. I tried unplugging and plugging it in again but no help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well well well. I found the problem with the new sensor. It turns out that in Canada our volvo wagons have only ten valves in the five cylinders whereas the US models have twenty. The sensor I bought was designed to talk to cars with 20 not 10. The place I had it checked at went to the Lordco site and said he found they only carry the part for the american cars not the canadian. So now I have a sensor that I can't return because, being a bosch aftermarket part you have to grind off a bit of it to make it fit. So live and learn. Make sure of the amount of valves. It was easy enough to replace. It took all of an hour for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well at first it did, but on the second day the lambda light came on again and began running rough.
I took it home and unhooked the battery and it turned the light off again, but would idle at stall speed.
I drove it around a while putting it in neutral at lights and revving it. I went over to a volvo club members house and picked up some shims for the brakes of my other car and when i got in it ran fine.
That was about a week and a half ago. We even took it for a trip up island and it still is okay. Gets a bit of a wobble in the steering at around 65 mph or so. The mechanic did mention a cv boot. Maybe needs tending soon. Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well its been a couple of weeks with the new sensor and its working pretty good with no problems. It gets really good mileage on the highway. It clicked over 200,000 a month or so ago. My son is borrowing it to go to Nanaimo up island from here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts