SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Monday I picked up my Magic Blue Inscription/Blond/Charcoal carpet w/ Vision, Protection Package Plus, Apple Carplay and the dealer added Homelink mirror because the car did not have Convenience package.

Questions: What is the difference between features in the Convenience package vs what is standard.
1. Lane Keeping Aid: what is the difference between what is standard where the steering wheel vibrates and lane keeping aid.
2. Pilot assist: what is the difference between this and what is standard where the car will stop if a pedestrian walks out in front?
3. Front Park Assist: i understand this one (do not have a question about this on)....my car does not have it. Our Lexus does and i wish this one did :(

Hopefully my questions make sense. Thanks for any input!!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
LKA actively assists in keeping the vehicle within the lane markings. Hard to explain. Instead of waiting for you to 'touch' or get close to a lane marking and then bounce you back to center/vibrate the wheel it 'kind of' tightens up steering and actively keeps you in the middle a bit more. Like I said, people will explain it differently, but its something best felt yourself. Turn the feature on and off while highway driving on a multi lane highway and you'll notice the difference.

Pilot Assist will, below 31mph and when activated, accelerate and brake the vehicle as well as steer but your hand must be on the wheel. You can remove it but after a short time it asks you to place it back on the wheel.

Take on for a test drive with these features and try it out to get a real world sense of how they work. The Pilot Assist is really for traffic conditions IMO so may be harder to test that out. My two gripes with it is I wish it allows for considerably faster speeds than 30mph (which supposedly the 2017 S90 will allow for and they 'may' have an update for us, Volvo won't say) and when activated and you are in traffic and it stops, it won't accelerate on its own once traffic (the car in front of you) begins to move without you tapping the gas pedal. I feel it should accelerate on its own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LKA actively assists in keeping the vehicle within the lane markings. Hard to explain. Instead of waiting for you to 'touch' or get close to a lane marking and then bounce you back to center/vibrate the wheel it 'kind of' tightens up steering and actively keeps you in the middle a bit more. Like I said, people will explain it differently, but its something best felt yourself. Turn the feature on and off while highway driving on a multi lane highway and you'll notice the difference.

Pilot Assist will, below 31mph and when activated, accelerate and brake the vehicle as well as steer but your hand must be on the wheel. You can remove it but after a short time it asks you to place it back on the wheel.

Take on for a test drive with these features and try it out to get a real world sense of how they work. The Pilot Assist is really for traffic conditions IMO so may be harder to test that out. My two gripes with it is I wish it allows for considerably faster speeds than 30mph (which supposedly the 2017 S90 will allow for and they 'may' have an update for us, Volvo won't say) and when activated and you are in traffic and it stops, it won't accelerate on its own once traffic (the car in front of you) begins to move without you tapping the gas pedal. I feel it should accelerate on its own.
Thanks for the explanations. I don't have Lane keeping Aid or Pilot Assist b/c my car does not have the Convenience package. There are a couple features standard on my vehicle and i'm wondering how what is standard differs from LKA and PA b/c the standard features seem similar?? e.g. my steering wheel vibrates when i get close to the line but i don't know how this differs from LKA. And my car will stop for something that is in front of me but i don't know how that differs from Pilot Assist. I don't really want to get close enough to a car to find out if my car will really stop ;).

I should have asked the sales guy at the dealership but didn't really know enough to ask at that time. thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
LKA will steer the car back into the lane, not just vibrate. Pilot assist is totally different from city safety, which you have. Pilot assist will basically pilot the car automatically under 30 mph - steering, braking, staying in lane, not hitting stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LKA will steer the car back into the lane, not just vibrate. Pilot assist is totally different from city safety, which you have. Pilot assist will basically pilot the car automatically under 30 mph - steering, braking, staying in lane, not hitting stuff.

Ok, thanks!
Would pilot assist be downloadable??

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ok, thanks!
Would pilot assist be downloadable??
don't think so. There are hardware components that allow the car to control the steering and brakes which are almost certainly not included on cars that don't have these features.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You're missing the best of all - Adaptive Cruise Control. I wouldn't buy an XC90 without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts