SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all hope your day is going great, so I went to replace the control arms on my 05 VR. The drivers side went totally fine no issues, but when it came to the passenger side I was confronted with 3 tubes/pipes that are covering the bolts that hold the front part of the control arm on, I can move the rubber ones out of the way but the 3rd is a solid metal pipe that doesn't want to budge at all.
So my question,
How the heck do ya get the bolts off?? I'm an amateur for sure but I know what I'm doing. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to move the metal pipe. Any help would be appreciated!!

Also the grease is from a busted cv joint that has since been replaced

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The metal pipe is clipped in, pull it out of the clip and you should be able to move it out of the way enough to get to the bolt. You probably won't have room to get a socket on there so you may have to use the sketchy double wrench method to loosen that puppy. If this is the first time cracking that bolt, start spraying it with penetrating oil NOW. If you are going to replace the bolt, you need to jack up the engine to be able to get it out. If not, don't worry about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The metal pipe is clipped in, pull it out of the clip and you should be able to move it out of the way enough to get to the bolt. You probably won't have room to get a socket on there so you may have to use the sketchy double wrench method to loosen that puppy. If this is the first time cracking that bolt, start spraying it with penetrating oil NOW. If you are going to replace the bolt, you need to jack up the engine to be able to get it out. If not, don't worry about it.

Thanks so much I'll try again tomorrow after I let it soak in PB blaster, the clip didnt want to come off when I tried the first time but i was also being pretty delicate with it since it seemed important. How much force should it take to get it out of the clip? And does it have a lot of play once out of the clip or will I break it if I yank too hard?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Make sure to put the power steering line back secured... or it will rub against the engine.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks so much I'll try again tomorrow after I let it soak in PB blaster, the clip didnt want to come off when I tried the first time but i was also being pretty delicate with it since it seemed important. How much force should it take to get it out of the clip? And does it have a lot of play once out of the clip or will I break it if I yank too hard?
Thanks again!

I don't remember exactly what it looks like but if you can, try to gently press on the tabs of the clips while pulling the line straight out. I think the first time it did take some force. Worst case you break the clip and have to replace it. You should be able to move the line just enough to fit a wrench on that bolt. You will break most things if you yank too hard. It's meant to come out of the clip though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't remember exactly what it looks like but if you can, try to gently press on the tabs of the clips while pulling the line straight out. I think the first time it did take some force. Worst case you break the clip and have to replace it. You should be able to move the line just enough to fit a wrench on that bolt. You will break most things if you yank too hard. It's meant to come out of the clip though.

Cool if I break it I'll make sure zip tie it or something haha

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yep, this was a pain in the butt when I did mine. The lines will move out of the way just enough when you unclip them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts