SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the FDC accessory list and see they offer a First Aid Package (first aid kit and safety vest) for 400 SEK (~$43). Seems like that would be the easiest option. I read in this forum that Volvo provides a reflective triangle. Anything else we are required to have in our new car before when we drive off on our big adventure?

We will be traveling through Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, France, Belgium and Netherlands.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription, 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country T5
92 Posts
Would you be willing to post the accessory list you were provided? I never received such a list and my delivery is happening in June.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A fire extinguisher and 2 yellow reflective vests...
Several of the countries you will be travelling through require those.
The bracket to mount the fire extinguisher under the passenger seat can be bought and installed by the ODC.
The fire extinguisher itself and vest you can buy in any automobile parts shop in Sweden.
Chances you get stopped are slim, but if they do the fines are high...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
And is guess you know you need a "vignette" to travel on the highway in Austria. You can buy one e.g for 5 days in any fuel station before the border. They will validate first day for you and then you stick it in the right place on the windshield. If not all the automated cameras will flash you and the fines will follow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you be willing to post the accessory list you were provided? I never received such a list and my delivery is happening in June.
I emailed the FDC to ask for the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pro-tips!

Follow up question: I’ve read that we can’t leave anything in the vehicle for shipment back to the US, but what about all this safety gear? Fire extinguisher, safety vests, first aid kit, reflective triangle, inflatable raft... Just dump it all at the port when we ship out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
We left the first aid kit strapped in the trunk and the fire extinguisher mounted under the seat and it all arrived with the car exactly the way we left it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And is guess you know you need a "vignette" to travel on the highway in Austria. You can buy one e.g for 5 days in any fuel station before the border.
Thank you. I was aware of the the Austrian vignette. It looks like currently the 10-day for 9.20 EUR is the shortest available. It looks like since 11/2018 a digital vignette is now available, but I'm not sure if the license plate Volvo provides will work for that.

Here's the official link if anyone is curious:

https://www.asfinag.at/toll/vignette/

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Several of the countries you will be travelling through require those.
The bracket to mount the fire extinguisher under the passenger seat can be bought and installed by the ODC.
The fire extinguisher itself and vest you can buy in any automobile parts shop in Sweden.
Chances you get stopped are slim, but if they do the fines are high...

That may be the case but a U.S. spec'd car, with the red export plates on it, will not be subject to these regulations.

No need to spend money on fire extinguishers and vests.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
And is guess you know you need a "vignette" to travel on the highway in Austria. You can buy one e.g for 5 days in any fuel station before the border. They will validate first day for you and then you stick it in the right place on the windshield. If not all the automated cameras will flash you and the fines will follow.

Correct. You can also get one at any rest stop in any country bordering Austria, right before you enter Austria.

There are a few countries requiring vignette stickers, most of them being ex-Eastern block countries but the countries where most people will drive through are Austria and Switzerland. The Swiss vignette can also be ordered online.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thank you. I was aware of the the Austrian vignette. It looks like currently the 10-day for 9.20 EUR is the shortest available. It looks like since 11/2018 a digital vignette is now available, but I'm not sure if the license plate Volvo provides will work for that.

Here's the official link if anyone is curious:

https://www.asfinag.at/toll/vignette/
The digital seems like a lot of trouble. Given the potential fine, I would just get the real deal decal and put it on the inside of the windshield (passenger side). Virtually every gas station sells them and it's a great souvenir. For the benefit of other OSDers, the Czech Republic also requires a vignette.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I received the FDC accessory list and see they offer a First Aid Package (first aid kit and safety vest) for 400 SEK (~$43). Seems like that would be the easiest option. I read in this forum that Volvo provides a reflective triangle. Anything else we are required to have in our new car before when we drive off on our big adventure?

We will be traveling through Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, France, Belgium and Netherlands.
On a related note, gas prices vary dramatically in central Europe. I've found Austria and Poland to be among the lowest. In Germany, you will typically pay more at the Autobahn stations than you will in the cities/towns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The digital seems like a lot of trouble. Given the potential fine, I would just get the real deal decal and put it on the inside of the windshield (passenger side). Virtually every gas station sells them and it's a great souvenir. For the benefit of other OSDers, the Czech Republic also requires a vignette.
After researching further, the Austrian digital vignette must be bought over two weeks in advance from inside the European Union. Decal it is, then.

Thanks for the tip about gas prices, too. At least our Costco Visa has 4% back on gas worldwide and no foreign transaction fees.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is not correct. The traffic laws are different in each country. They do not take into account what spec the car is made for.
This is true for the equipment that is part of the car, e.g. different type of lights, colour of signal lights, emission regulations,.. Etc but not for the equipment you need to carry. Any car that enters a country in Europe by law needs to have the safety equipment as prescribed by that country.
It's all quite different. An nice overview can be found here https://www.renaultcanada.com/en-CA/support/driving-in-europe, but there's many other websites that list the same. Also have a look at the individual ministry of transport websites and automobile associations of the different countries if you want to be sure.
As an example : even if you take your personal French registered car over the border to Spain, you still need to carry the second yellow vest, etc... Spanish police is known for picking out tourists just (Other European countries) just to fine.
Let that not scare you. I've driven through European countries for many years, either with a proper European license plate (used to live there) and on our OSD for 40 days and never got stopped once to have the safety equipment checked. But the law is the law....

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
That may be the case but a U.S. spec'd car, with the red export plates on it, will not be subject to these regulations.

No need to spend money on fire extinguishers and vests.
Agreed. No need to buy anything you won't need later and that may potentially be cause for delays getting your car into the US.

However, the vests can be bought very cheaply at any IKEA, even here in the US.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10315735/

Having extra reflective vests in the car is one of the cheapest safety equipment you can get. If you need to stop for whatever reason, you want other people to see you. Personally, I always carry 2 in the trunk and 2 in the glove compartment. When traveling, I always carry 2 in my carry-on. Call me paranoid if you wish -- you wouldn't be the first ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts