SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their new reliably data has been released. Volvo as a brand dropped way down. Audi is now their reliability king for the Euro groups (joke?). Apparently the c70 and c30 drag it down. What's strange is c30 was always related as reliable. It was the most reliable volvo car. Now it's all the sudden labeled "unreliable"... They report some fuel system problems, but every other category is perfect. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. C70 has always seemed to have more problems, so I guess that isn't too surprising. I wonder how they have enough data on any of them to get decent numbers. So few c30s are sold and so few of those actually contribute to these reports. I don't buy it.
http://www.consumerreports.org/content/cro/en/cars/best_worst_new_car_reliability.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/volvo/c30.htm

·
Registered
369 Posts
I see C70's in for tire wear more than anything else.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
These are the two models being discontinued, correct???

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wouldn't put any faith in the validity of any Consumer Reports evaluation !
It all depends...

If they rate your car highly- Well it's about time they got their act straightened out! I always use CR as a guide.
If they trash your car- CR doesn't know what they're doing, it's full of BS- my car runs fine!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It all depends...

If they rate your car highly- Well it's about time they got their act straightened out! I always use CR as a guide.
If they trash your car- CR doesn't know what they're doing, it's full of BS- my car runs fine!
I use the Accord/Camry/Taurus guide to assess CR's "factual results to BS"ratio. In the late 90s, the Camry and Accord sold in nearly identical volumes: some years the Camry was #1, other years the Accord was. The Taurus was always #3 trailing by a decent margin but always a good margin ahead of #4. FFWD 12+ years. By this time, the number of cars available for sale will accurately represent the ratio of how many are still on the road. When a car is only a few years old, cars bought by certain demographics will have been leased and dumped on the used market, others will be for sale b/c they are problematic, and others will still be in the hands of the OP, who will hold on to it until it feels worn out. Generally btw year 7-10, the long-term OPs will begin selling or trading their cars, so by year 12, one must assume that the number of OPs holding onto their cars until they "run them into the ground" is too small to have an effect on the used market and the number of cars still on the road overall. There were just as many 1-owner Pintos out there as 1-owner 240s. So, a national search on Auto Trader has proven to me that there are significantly MORE Accords than Camrys on the road after 12 years. The number of Tauruses on the road were relatively in proportion to the ratio of Camrys to Tauruses sold new. So what does that tell me? Either Accord owners repaired their cars when Camry owners and Taurus owners decided, under similar circumstances, they weren't worth it (what would cause an Accord owner with a cracked head or blown tranny more likely to repair it than a Camry owner if resale values are similar?), or that they got in fewer total-loss collisions (statistically unlikely due to the Camrys lower insurance premium than Accord and esp Taurus) or, most likely, while Accords experienced fewer major repairs, Camrys experienced the same number in proportion as Tauruses did, meaning that the ratio to repaird vs. junked Camrys is the same as the ratio for Tauruses but much lower than the ratio of Accords.
How does this matter? CR consistantly praises anything Toyota manufactures nearly unilaterally when long-term statistics prove the Camry is no more reliable than a Taurus. That tells me testing is either unfair, or that backroom deals are going on and that reputations are being sold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
CR Ratings and Reviews

CR ratings and reviews are very questionable and always have been. For instance, when I began reviews for the purchase of a new XC70 I read the CR Road Test. After seeing a less than stellar test, I noticed the XC70 had not been road tested by CR since 2008. Think anything might have changed in 5 years? CR used to encourage online reviews of vehicles so that current owners could voice their opinions in real time. That feature, while it still exists to some degree, has been increasingly relegated to the shadows. CR has also been highly criticized for "recommending" a vehicle (or other product) for subscribers purchase consideration whose reliability stats are horrendous! Bottom line, do your research with several other sources. Select one that actually does a current road test on the vehicle you are considering buying. Were I an auto company, I would demand that road tests of my new vehicles be current or not appear as factual in the CR magazine.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The idiots at CR always rated the Jeep Cherokee as unreliable. Remind me again how that car was unreliable? It was a tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts