SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
CR has lost it. They got a Momentum S60 and then added about $10K in options and then complained that it was still missing certain options and features. Who does that?!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
CR still lists Subarus as 2d most reliable car even though Subaru has about a 100% failure rate on its continuously variable transmissions. :confused:

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Lol. I never subscribed to their articles or websites and I unfollowed their Youtube channel last year when they rated the Volvo brand as being the most unreliable car brand around. I mean, seriously? Volvo? The MOST unreliable brand?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
CR's inability to figure out how to use Sensus voice commands since 2015 baffles me. It is another reason why I don't take their ratings as serious as many other people do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The learning curve on Sensus is steep but once you get used to it- you realize how easy and intuitive the system is. Car infotainment screens have a ton of information to relay these days. Has anyone tried Bmw's I-drive or Audi/porsche's MMI systems?? There is an endless loop of never ending sub menus. One fair criticism-there should have been separate controls for climate control.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just tried watching the video and it's painful to watch their ignorance. The moderator asked which car would you choose if you had $50k. As if the Momentum that they tested costs $50k. Then one of the hosts said that he likes the BMW features more and then goes on to mention a feature that the S60 has if they'd only gone up one trim for less money than they added to the Momentum. Baffling.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that CR constantly bashes on the Sensus infotainment?

https://youtu.be/gfueAkdtqRU
Unfortunately being a consumer journalist doesn't necessarily coincide with intelligence or common sense. Anybody with half a brain can learn Sensus in about 5 minutes. Additionally, CR continued to recommend the Toyota Previa though it was burning people alive and toasters that burned people's houses down...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I gave up on CR. Here’s my wife’s experience

Subaru Legacy - Recommended by CR. We had two head gasket issues in 60K miles.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - Recommended by CR. Had 4 recalls for brake issues with having entire system replaced. Had two other recalls. Had constant problems with tire pressures. Told me to check them more often. I told them it lost 10 pounds in 2 days. Constant battle about the wheels as the car chewed tires.

Subaru Forester - Recommended by CR. Lost the transmission in 62k. Just out of warranty but we reached an agreement.

So much for CR and their “Recommended”.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife’s Audi is pretty easy. I also figured out Sensus in about 30 minutes. My wife is shocked at how fast I can swipe.

I’m working on the speech commands now.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Just tried watching the video and it's painful to watch their ignorance. The moderator asked which car would you choose if you had $50k. As if the Momentum that they tested costs $50k. Then one of the hosts said that he likes the BMW features more and then goes on to mention a feature that the S60 has if they'd only gone up one trim for less money than they added to the Momentum. Baffling.

I agree with all of the comments here, what a stupid freaking comparison. people want to know what you get for the same money, no one cares about which is entry level for that lineup. STUPID!!! They should have compared a T6 (Mom, Ins or R) to the BMW (two $53k cars) and the then you would have something worth listening to. As it is it was like discussing the difference between a Volvo T5 and T6, SURE ITS AN UPGRADE but it costs more!!! Same as whether or not you choose a 330 or a 340.

As far as their comments, I went from a BMW 4 series to my S60 and can tell you that while i do think the BMW is a slightly better driving car at the limits the reality is that A) I rarely if ever drive the car at its limits and B)during normal driving the Volvo is SO MUCH more comfortable and pleasant to drive/ride in.

When we have the XC90 and the BMW the BMW sat, none of us wanted to drive it. Now that we have the S60 we prefer the S60.

As mentioned the BMW menus and sub menus to deal with everyday things are a PITA, I much prefer Sensus. The seats in the Volvo BLOW away the seats in the 330. The upgraded HK audio system (standard on the Inscription) is much better than what is standard on the BMW. Finally, the bimmer feels almost claustrophobic compared to the loveliness of the Volvo. I realize that is a matter of taste but EVERYONE that rides in our cars with us comments on how beautiful the interior is, NO ONE ever said that about our bimmer. In fact the new 330 screen looks plasticy and cheap.

Bottom line is that this video serves no one, notCR nor its viewers as it misleads, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a $6k in pricing between the two cars. AWD is a $2k opinion in the Bimmer. That means they spent $4k in upgrades for the Bimmer. Why didn’t they test a RWD Bimmer with less options?

No kidding they may have liked it more. They upgraded the car and did not spend $6k to upgrade the S60 to make it a fair comparison.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not worth getting heated up about, the usual stuff, a journalist doesn't like a car and the fanboys get up in arms. They have their reasons for whatever they do, heck if I had to pick a momentum T5 or the 330i, I would def take the 330i. But reality is we are all in different situations, for me as the leases go the new 2019 3-series wasn't affordable for me and the T6 R-Design was. Mine was still under 50k sticker, and with the sport chassis. Would have been interesting to see that comparison, they did make a mistake to match "volume models" where the models themselves aren't really equivalent.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Really!

CR still lists Subarus as 2d most reliable car even though Subaru has about a 100% failure rate on its continuously variable transmissions. :confused:
Wow, that's painting with a broad brush. I've owned a Forester and Outback, both with CVTs and never had a tranny problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, that's painting with a broad brush. I've owned a Forester and Outback, both with CVTs and never had a tranny problem.
I had an Outback without having any transmission issues... my mother has had 5 Subarus without transmission issues as well... don't know where he is getting his information. Try to be objective.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Big difference is comfort - and that means the seats. I’ve owned a bmw 330 and a 535. Both were amazing to drive. My office is 4 miles away and I’d drive 10 miles to get home sometimes. The problem was that in the 330 the seat part of the seat was too short. If I drove over an hour ( which you don’t do in a test drive) my back would kill me. I’d crawl out of the car after a long drive . For the 535 , I thought i’d fix the problem with seats that extended. Actually adjusted 20 ways. It wasn’t much better. The volvo seats are comfortable in most positions. Especially for your back and real world driving. BMW’s are better for racing around cones and obstacle courses.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hmm. Not sure what they are talking about with fuel economy? I thought 4cyl T5 was pretty good?.. I am getting 27mpg with 50/50 in my P3 S60 T5 FWD. But, I still think that not offering AWD with T5 in the US is a big mistake on Volvo's part.

Driving dynamics. I haven't personally driven the new 3-series yet, but everybody seems to agree that it is a significant improvement over a previous generation, in both handling and ride quality - so I tend to believe what the CR reviewers are saying. I did test-drive 2019 S60 T6 AWD R-design, and it was very capable as well. Yes, engine noise is underwhelming, but sound insulation is much better in this generation (P3 was terrible) - so you can barely hear it anyway.

Infotainment... To be fair, most comments on the Sensus in the review were centered on responsiveness and software stability, not on ease of use(except the last comment referring to someone who could not figure it out :rolleyes:). Latest version of BMW iDrive 7 is very robust, straightforward to use and, most importantly - instantly responsive. This is way more than I can say about the SPA Sensus, at least the version running in my '18 XC60. Volvo clearly went for design over ergonomics and functional refinement, a pity.

Pricing. BMW 330i RWD with Premium package and HK audio has MSRP~ $48K. Volvo S60 T5 FWD Momentum with Premium, Multimedia, heated seats is MSRP ~$43K. In real world, Volvo is always going to be $5-6K less than BMW. As you go to a more potent (on paper) engine in Volvo, the gap significantly diminishes. However, I was not that impressed with T6 performance, when I test drove one - it was adequate and smooth enough, but not really engaging. Yes, T8 is more power, but it is over $56K, and 340ix is even more dynamic for just a few thousand more.

I am currently researching my next sedan purchase (will be 2020 model, in 9 months or so). As it stands right now, the two front runners are S60 (T5 R-design) and BMW. But I am actually looking at the 5-series, not 3. With current incentives from BMW, 530i (or 530e) can be purchased for just $52-53K's well-equipped, which makes it a great value for the level of luxury and performance it provides. Also, for someone like me, being able to chose interior color from 4 options (not to mention having physical climate controls on the dash) is a huge plus for BMW. IMHO current Volvo seats are a step back from sport seats in P3 generation. They may look nicer, but are not as well bolstered and plush. R-design seats are the best of the bunch, but still not ideal, and only come in black, and not even full leather - another mistake by Volvo. So, the only Volvo's advantage left is the price. If only S60 came out with climate control knobs, T5 AWD and full leather interior in R-design trim (or better yet, Momentum/Inscription with Contour seats in a variety of colors), I probably wouldn't even consider BMW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The sensus on my 2018 XC60 is painfully slow. I can't say enough bad things about it. I don't know how it got out of alpha testing and into a production vehicle. I feel like it's 1999 and I'm trying to use a tablet running Windows XP. It's that bad. I know others don't see it that way. They're probably the types that start their car and fiddle around with their stuff for 5 minutes before they try to drive. That's fine and all but a lot of us want to get in and drive right away. I don't want to get in, put it in reverse and literally have to count to 20 before the rear camera comes up. It's horrible and Volvo deserves at least as much flac as they have gotten. I think Volvo should offer a free computer upgrade to anyone that wants a functional sensus in the 2018 models.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts