SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me why the V70 did so poorly in the latest Consumer Report. Specifically the realiability rating was dismal. Both the Volkswagon Passat Wagon and the Subaru Legacy Wagon performed much better. I would rather by the Volvo but I don't know if I can justify the extra expense when it has performed worse than the other two vehicles. All comments welcome!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave:<BR><B>Can anyone explain to me why the V70 did so poorly in the latest Consumer Report. Specifically the realiability rating was dismal. Both the Volkswagon Passat Wagon and the Subaru Legacy Wagon performed much better. I would rather by the Volvo but I don't know if I can justify the extra expense when it has performed worse than the other two vehicles. All comments welcome!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>One thing that the "experts" (a.k.a TOASTMASTER PROS) at CR neglect to tell you, esepcially when they trash the S80 and fail to recommend the XC is that although the 1999 S80s were a bit temperamental (and only the very early production units) the rest of the years have been extremely reliable, something they acknowledge on their back pages but fail to mention in their main description. Same thing about the V70s and the XC. Because the 1998 models had their "electrical" problems (lightbulbs), they fail to recommend the rest of the models, MY2000 and newer. If you think that is fair reporting from the toasmaster pros, then you can go ahead and let your buying decision be affected. <P>They disclose the Audi A6 (MY2000) 2.7T as one of their worst cars as far as reliability is concerned and they list it in their "Used cars to avoid", but they fail to mention ANYTHING negative in their main description. Same goes for the Mercedes CLK, the BMW X5 and some other cars. But when it comes to Volvo models, they seem to have an agenda. So, I tend to dismiss idiotic reviews like that. Volvos are not perfect cars but they are not the horrible cars that certain "experts" make them appear. Audis, BMWs and Mercedes have as many or more problems. I see so many VWs with "one eye" (a.k.a. burned lightbulb) that it's not funny anymore. We have many friends who have VWs and they tell me that they are at the VW dealer many times replacing their headlight lighbulbs. Where is CR in reporting that? Yeah, they are drooling over the Passat...<P>Lastly, I had a 1998 V70R for more than 12000 miles, never had a single problem. OK, my left headlight lighbulb burned once...Wow.<P>I have had my current 2001 V70 T5 for more than 17,500 miles and have not had a SINGLE issue with this car. Am I so lucky? There are literally hundreds of thousands of happy Volvo owners but I guess these people don't count. Or, where are all the unhappy AUdi, Mercedes and BMW owners?<P>Yannis<P><BR>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,<P>I have had my 2001 V70 T5 for 46 000 km...<P>one brake light burned out... runs like a charm... <P>it mostly comes down to, in my opinion, the perceived value of the auto.<P>something they do not test really is crashing it into a truck head on... and if I were ever to have the misfortune of that... I stand a better chance in the volvo than any other car. try to perceive that CR.<P>cheers<P>sporto gordo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts