SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC90 Recharge
49 Posts
How much of that low score was the result of problems with the XC90 T8?
According their report, they have only rated one trim level: the Momentum. I'm not a Volvo expert, but I believe that trim level does not (and never has, to my knowledge) come in a PHEV version. So, my interpretation is that their low score is unrelated to the T8. From the looks of their complete dataset going back to 2016, the 2016 and 2017 years had a TON of problems and the model has generally improved every year since. So, my conclusion is the 16/17 MYs are holding the current rating down by some not insignificant extent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This ranking has to improve for Volvo in the US for it to sell more cars, now that they are going to go all-electric which will mean more software/hardware issues as they have with XC90. XC90 is a good car but for sure there are a lot of annoying software issues.

View attachment 139253

Consumer Reports is a joke. You believe them, you believe anything.
Volvos sales for the past 17 months consistently have been setting record sales.
You want software issues?? Then please go purchase a POS BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche or better yet Range Rover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If we take consumer reports at face value (I'm not going to lie. My own Volvo has seen the inside of the Service Bay numerous times), then most luxury brands don't fair well. Except for Lexus. And Audi.

BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, and Volvo are at the bottom of the pack.
Got to be kidding about Audi. A nightmare of engineering and servicing issues for countless years and models.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Got to be kidding about Audi. A nightmare of engineering and servicing issues for countless years and models.
You mean Audit, right, as in they need to Audit their design and corporate ethics?

And out of curiousity how does being found guilty of DIEselgate, where corporations and executives where found guilty of purposefully releasing toxins and particulates that kill people, factor into Can'tBoomers Report's reliability ratings?

·
Registered
446 Posts
You mean Audit, right, as in they need to Audit their design and corporate ethics?

And out of curiousity how does being found guilty of DIEselgate, where corporations and executives where found guilty of purposefully releasing toxins and particulates that kill people, factor into Can'tBoomers Report's reliability ratings?
it dont

·
Registered
64 Posts
It just amazes me that we continue to buy Volvo's even after knowing that reliability scores are so bad. I want to understand what is the psychological term for this type of decision making? 😆 I am on my 4th Volvo and for sure I had experienced issues with all the cars but continue to persevere through them. Logic vs. Emotional purchase I guess..
depends. some of the users here just buy last decades models. not post 2015 ones because they do know the "more modern less reliable", even for volvos

·
Registered
554 Posts
I stopped following CR when I worked for a Volvo dealer years ago. They trashed all new Volvos but rated the exact same cars on the used market as "best buys" with good reliability. Customers often came armed with the new car rating as a point of leverage and that quickly went away when we discussed the significant discrepancies in CR used car opinions. Cars don't miraculously heal themselves over time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I stopped following CR when I worked for a Volvo dealer years ago. They trashed all new Volvos but rated the exact same cars on the used market as "best buys" with good reliability. Customers often came armed with the new car rating as a point of leverage and that quickly went away when we discussed the significant discrepancies in CR used car opinions. Cars don't miraculously heal themselves over time.
Said differently, a new car always becomes a used car hah

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You have hit the nail on the head. It amazes me people don't see through this. CR contradict themselves all the time, and many of their "issues" when they review a car are total lack of understanding how it works......as if CR doesn't read owner's manuals.

This is the same type of thing where a Cadillac and a Chevy are built on the same line by the same people sharing 75% of the parts from the same suppliers......and yet one is twice as reliable as the other. Notice how many GM engines (that are 100% the same, built in the same plant by the same people) have completely different reliability ratings. Kinda hurts your credibility.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I must say ratings like these (CR, JD Power) almost made me look the other way when buying my MY22 T8 but luckily this forum was here and had more real life experiences shared. Also looked at a GV80 which everyone raves about but take a peek on the forums and people complain about MPG and driveshafts snapping. No thanks to that and a brand new platform.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I must say ratings like these (CR, JD Power) almost made me look the other way when buying my MY22 T8 but luckily this forum was here and had more real life experiences shared. Also looked at a GV80 which everyone raves about but take a peek on the forums and people complain about MPG and driveshafts snapping. No thanks to that and a brand new platform.
Over at the XC60 board, with the same discussion about latest CR rating, someone posted about Auto Bild - A German endurance test up to 100,000km. Previous gen. XC60 (diesel though) held up very well. They currently testing XC60 T8 and up to 80000 km now - seems to be going strong so far.

MPG for GV80 shouldn't surprise anyone. It's big car and ICE only.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 XC90 Recharge
49 Posts
CR's reliability reports of past vehicles (>2 to 3 years old) are from surveys. The predicted reliability ratings for <2 or 3 year old vehicles is based on these past surveys. I've said this before and I reckon I'll say it again: Given the fact that Volvo (and maybe other manufacturers) continually evolves a model to fix design flaws, improve reliability, etc. the predicted reliability of current MYs are highly suspect because we all know that the 2016 and 2017 MYs for the XC90 in particular had some appreciable launch pain and I suspect it hurts the current MY predictability ratings. As far as the endurance test that Keith22 mentioned, if they are only testing 1 vehicle, I guess it's an interesting data point, but statistically is N = 1. Hardly a reliable population from which to extrapolate and predict an entire MY.

·
Registered
243 Posts
CR's reliability reports of past vehicles (>2 to 3 years old) are from surveys. The predicted reliability ratings for <2 or 3 year old vehicles is based on these past surveys. I've said this before and I reckon I'll say it again: Given the fact that Volvo (and maybe other manufacturers) continually evolves a model to fix design flaws, improve reliability, etc. the predicted reliability of current MYs are highly suspect because we all know that the 2016 and 2017 MYs for the XC90 in particular had some appreciable launch pain and I suspect it hurts the current MY predictability ratings. As far as the endurance test that Keith22 mentioned, if they are only testing 1 vehicle, I guess it's an interesting data point, but statistically is N = 1. Hardly a reliable population from which to extrapolate and predict an entire MY.
I agree - there are certain years, vehicles, and weak points that skew the average. Most Volvos seem to go for a very long time.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
388 Posts
Sure they do. If Volvo sells every new car with a leaky radiator, their new car rating will be terrible. The radiators will be replaced under warranty and the second owners will have no issues ;)
This is one reason the ratings for a car years down the road are important, new ones not so much.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
388 Posts
I agree - there are certain years, vehicles, and weak points that skew the average. Most Volvos seem to go for a very long time.
As Car and Driver said about Mercedes, they are not reliable, but they are durable. I had an old 300D that always had one thing or another wrong with it, but it was past 400,000 miles and the doors still shut like a bank vault and still moved under its own power.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's what people forget - by being based on surveys much like the JD Power "new car quality" and the like they get dinged for complexity/luxury features. If a customer is unfamiliar with a feature or doesn't work as they would expect, or even things like minor flaws whether it's an RTFM issue or a genuine fault it counts as a problem that contributes to the "issues/100" and affects the reliability and quality scores. It could be as mundane as a perceived problem like "customer unable to pair their iPhone over BT" and had to take it in for service. The customer may fault the car's reliablity/quality and not "I didn't know how to do it/I should have read the instructions". To some extent it's why the likes of Toyota do well, simplicity wins the day in those kinds of surveys that contribute to "reliability" and "quality" rankings.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
30 Posts
It does seem the XC90 got hammered by the '16 issues, but other than that is no worse than average for reliability. The brakes are the other major pain, but still a fixable problem.

·
Registered
2022 XC90 Recharge
49 Posts
It's what people forget - by being based on surveys much like the JD Power "new car quality" and the like they get dinged for complexity/luxury features. If a customer is unfamiliar with a feature or doesn't work as they would expect, or even things like minor flaws whether it's an RTFM issue or a genuine fault it counts as a problem that contributes to the "issues/100" and affects the reliability and quality scores. It could be as mundane as a perceived problem like "customer unable to pair their iPhone over BT" and had to take it in for service. The customer may fault the car's reliablity/quality and not "I didn't know how to do it/I should have read the instructions". To some extent it's why the likes of Toyota do well, simplicity wins the day in those kinds of surveys that contribute to "reliability" and "quality" rankings.
Agreed. I don't know anything about JD Power and I am certainly not a CR shill as I find them to be hit and miss, but reading their guidance at face value, the "unable to pair" example you rightly point out should be weighted less in the CR reliability scoring. Again, just reading their guide to ratings page I linked to earlier. Here's the excerpt,

"Are All Problems Considered Equally Serious?
Engine major, engine cooling, transmission major, and drive system problems are more likely to take a car out of service and to be more expensive to repair than the other problem areas. Consequently, we weight these areas more heavily in our calculations of model year overall reliability verdict. Problems such as broken trim and in-car electronics have a much smaller weight. Problems in any area can be an expense and a bother, though, so we report them all in the reliability history charts."

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Well this is true to an extensive still is a fundamental flaw. Why are they transmission failure me the weighted heavily combine A handful of software glitches or unfriendly user interfaces plus a loose trim piece or two and suddenly all those minor issues combined rank Has the same severity as a transmission failure. That’s a real problem it doesn’t accurately depicts a vehicle at all. It also doesn’t address things like a 30 year old or complains of squeaks and rattles while he’s 70 years old that is half deaf doesn’t bring up the same flaws because they don’t even realize it exist. This is played out over and over again when you compare a Chevrolet and a Cadillac that are built at the same place by the same people with the same parts and share 75% of everything…. And they’ll rank one car is great and another car is terrible which defies all logic or probability. It’s almost hilarious to see their used car recommendations compared to new car recommendations we’re magically one has dramatically different than another. CR is laughable when it comes to cars. Half the time they don’t even read the owners manual of the cars they review and then complain it doesn’t function correctly because they can’t figure it out.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts