SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
My current car the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 continues to have a check engine light it comes in and goes out I took it to the dealer and he said, oh it's a gas cover issue, it should not have a check engine light in my opinion just because of the gas door.
Well back when Volvo just had a Lambda light everyone knew it was just emissions so folks ignored it... by making it "check engine" they cause consumers to get more worried, and prone to fix it sooner.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I stopped caring about CR and JD Power a long time ago. There was a survey from one of them a few months ago that put DODGE - yes, DODGE - at the top of the initial quality list (something like that). Obvious crap. I also believe that most consumer publications are taking money from certain companies in return for favorable reviews.

Like some other posters have said, it is all relative to expectation. Somebody spending $20k on a Dart probably won't hold it to the same standard as somebody spending $80k on an XC90. Somebody might bring the XC90 to the dealer for a rattling speaker, but it would probably take an awful lot to get your average Dart owner to care for the condition of their vehicle.

I could give a rat's rear end about reliability if I'm supporting a company that puts money into the safety and well-being of its customers, like Volvo, instead of a corporate monolith like Toyota that sees everything through the lens of profit-driven market domination. Yes, Volvo is a for-profit company of course, but they could save a LOT of money if they didn't devote so much effort to safety and sustainability. They could close their high-tech crash center tomorrow and still be very successful - but instead they're willing to crash hundreds of expensive cars per year because that's their priority. Not to mention the fact that most all Japanese cars leave a bad taste in my mouth, and Swedish ones are among the most satisfying to my sensibilities.

On the subject of reliability - I've always felt, maybe due to my bias, that Volvo at least TRIES to make a durable car, whereas Audi and BMW make cars that will definitely be toast in <10 years (planned obsolescence). I see tons of old Volvos where I live and very few old models of other luxury brands. There's a reason for that.

I have had Volvos in my family and in my life since before I was born, from P2s to SPA cars and lots in between. I have never seen them as anything but immensely easy to live with. Yes, like even the best of brands, they have their issues. There are thousands (probably millions) of Toyotas that burn oil. There are Hondas and Acuras with garbage transmissions and terrible paintwork. There are Mazdas with glitchy infotainment and Mercedes with collapsed suspension. But if they were really as bad as some would have you believe, none of these companies would sell any cars. The most reliable brands would completely eclipse everything else. There's more to life than that.

I'm not exactly sure what this rant accomplishes, and I apologize for the long read - but I am sick and tired of the 'consumer publications' that garner income by putting out sensationalized statistics. Some are more factual than others, but I want to remind everybody, that one article does not suddenly make Volvo an unreliable brand - just as one mediocre crash test result (which does not actually come into effect until 2023) does not make the XC40 a death trap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It just amazes me that we continue to buy Volvo's even after knowing that reliability scores are so bad. I want to understand what is the psychological term for this type of decision making? 😆 I am on my 4th Volvo and for sure I had experienced issues with all the cars but continue to persevere through them. Logic vs. Emotional purchase I guess..
Ask an a VW, Audi or Bimmer owner the same. Chrysler & Land Rover typically rank close to worst.
GM is pretty terrible & even Honda is not what it once was reliability wise.

So you have annoyingly bland Toyota & then everybody else.
FWIW, we're on Volvo #4 with zero issues, so our experience has been very positive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not a paid member of consumer report just an FYI, read about this on insideevs.com 😆
It is still interesting that Consumer Report is still surviving and thriving under the everyone is a reviewer Society.
For sure what Consumer Report usually recommends is quite boring and stale it tends to recommend Japanese companies. I am very curious what happens when Chinese Brands start to come to the US market and how Consumer Report is going to evaluate them.

My current car the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 continues to have a check engine light it comes in and goes out I took it to the dealer and he said, oh it's a gas cover issue, it should not have a check engine light in my opinion just because of the gas door.
My preconditioning heater is not working so here are two issues that I'm experiencing and this is a supposedly 150 Point check car as a CPO so I would say the reliability is not as good as it should be compared to Japanese cars.
Our old ‘98 Lexus ES 300 once threw a CEL that was a result of a leaky fuel cap. Car warning systems check for EVAP faults, which may cause fuel vapors to exit the tank into the environment. There is a purpose for correctly sealed fuel tanks.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
I'm not a paid member of consumer report just an FYI, read about this on insideevs.com 😆
It is still interesting that Consumer Report is still surviving and thriving under the everyone is a reviewer Society.
For sure what Consumer Report usually recommends is quite boring and stale it tends to recommend Japanese companies. I am very curious what happens when Chinese Brands start to come to the US market and how Consumer Report is going to evaluate them.

My preconditioning heater is not working so here are two issues that I'm experiencing and this is a supposedly 150 Point check car as a CPO so I would say the reliability is not as good as it should be compared to Japanese cars.
"Car people" don't generally consider CR when buying cars as it's more an emotional decision for them as you indicated above. It's folks looking for appliances that go to CR for car buying advice.

And yes, your car being a 4-5 year old T8 is a pretty complicated machine so has a higher likelihood of having issues. Evap leaks like what you are experiencing can be annoying to track down. The easy answer is it's the gas cap but it rarely is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Totally. After two lemon buybacks, I am done with the brand. I still have a Volvo in a vacation home, but... done, despite the fact that, on the days they work, they are awesome cars - especially at their price point.

But you need three of them in the garage to be sure to make it to work in the morning...
Hey if your done with your Volvo I'll gladly take it off your hands lol
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
291 Posts
You need to consider a few things when rating new cars like this.
One is WHAT was the problem. If the radio is wonky in 50% of X car but the engine fails in 25% of Y car, I think X is still a better car.
The other is this is NEW cars that would be under warranty. If some large percentage of X car shipped with defective windshield washer pumps, but X replaces them under warranty and the replacement pumps work fine, who cares? OTOH if the window regulators fail and then the replacements fail and then those replacements fail and on and on, that car has an issue. BMW looking at you on that one, their window regulators have been bad for decades :mad:

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
291 Posts
Our old ‘98 Lexus ES 300 once threw a CEL that was a result of a leaky fuel cap. Car warning systems check for EVAP faults, which may cause fuel vapors to exit the tank into the environment. There is a purpose for correctly sealed fuel tanks.
Pretty much all modern cars do that. I borrowed a Ram pickup and it even lit up a message saying "Check Gas Cap" when the CEL light came on

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
"it is all modern cars"
"CR is for old people"
"it is all about software"
"CR is biased"

My god, you guys will jump through all sorts of rationalizations to defend this brand... let's be honest - the cars have (A LOT OF) issues...

·
Registered
365 Posts
"it is all modern cars"
"CR is for old people"
"CR is biased"

My god, you guys will jump through all sorts of rationalizations to defend this brand... let's be honest - the cars have (A LOT OF) issues...
What model Volvo do you own?
Once again I can alleviate you of your Volvo issues if you don't like it lol

Some people are diehard about certain brands for instance I personally think Toyota and Subaru are cheap throw away cars but yet you will have the subbie heads tell you everyway to the moon how amazing they are and rationalize the flaws, and don't get me started on BMW's Toyota supra woops I went there.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
What model Volvo do you own?
Once again I can alleviate you of your Volvo issues if you don't like it lol

Some people are diehard about certain brands for instance I personally think Toyota and Subaru are cheap throw away cars but yet you will have the subbie heads tell you everyway to the moon how amazing they are and rationalize the flaws, and don't get me started on BMW's Toyota supra woops I went there.
Three SPA.
2016 XC90 D5 - going strong in Italy
2016 XC90 T8 - lemon buyback in NY
2021 XC90 Recharge - lemon buyback in MO

I also have a Q7 in NY, a Panamera in Lugano, Switzerland, a Range Rover in Croatia, a Rav in FL.
How is any of this relevant?
What exactly are you trying to say? You are looking to buy one? Go for one of the two lemons. Because, hey, who needs FOUR working cylinders, right? No, more seriously, I still struggle to see your point.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
291 Posts
Three SPA.

I also have a Q7 in NY, a Panamera in Lugano, Switzerland, a Range Rover in Croatia, a Rav in FL.
What exactly are you trying to say? You are looking to buy one? Go for one of the two lemons. Because, hey, who needs FOUR working cylinders, right? No, more seriously, I still struggle to see your point.
The RAV4 is the only car on that list that I would count as cheap to run and reliable.
Apparently you have a taste for expensive cars with expensive repairs, so I would think Volvo is right up your alley :LOL:

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
291 Posts
"it is all modern cars"
"CR is for old people"
"CR is biased"

They do and I swore I would never have another one and then I went and got 2 :rolleyes:
My old 740 Turbo was from Day 1 shedding bits and pieces and malfunctioning in various ways. It never actually stopped it from running and it was still going well past 300,000 miles after being donated more than once to various family members.
A 2000 V70XC was a total nightmare and offloaded after numerous big $$$ issues.
That should have stopped me, but it didn't. I work on my V70 myself and after fixing some issues when I first got it, it has been very reliable. The V60 is under CPO for longer than the loan for unlimited miles, so I figure I can't lose on that one. If it ends up in the shop all the time I'll sell it with warranty remaining and if it looks good I'll just keep driving it ;)

·
Registered
“Dew” -- 2004 XC90 T6 in Nautic Blue
84 Posts
What's amazing to me is that anyone reads consumer reports =-D
No kidding. It amazed me when they placed the BMW X3 ahead of the P3 XC60 (T6) for reliability. I laughed out loud.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
No kidding. It amazed me when they placed the BMW X3 ahead of the P3 XC60 (T6) for reliability. I laughed out loud.
I repeat my thought from earlier - you'd be crazy to make a major purchase w/out CR background reading, usually quite informative and good for situational awareness. But you'd also be crazy to make a choice based on their recommendations.

CR loves Toyota. But I'll offer that our Sienna has had multiple power sliding door repairs, under warranty (motors), safety recall (wiring), class action settlement (1st cable), and my wallet (2nd cable). Yet no reliability hits in CR, probably too inconvenient for their glossy embrace of Toyota.

And just to be fair, I do think Toyota has an excellent full/conventional HEV system which would have been a better approach for Volvo than MHEV+PHEV combo (although tracking PHEV buy in ~2 years).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Three SPA.

It was a joking jab that if you don't want the garbage Volvo I'll take it off your hands. But that flew over your head I guess.

To sum it all up why come on here and complain about a brand but buy three of them? You bought 2 in 2016 if Volvo is so bad then why buy one in 2021? So "more seriously I struggle to" understand your logic.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It was a joking jab that if you don't want the garbage Volvo I'll take it off your hands. But that flew over your head I guess.

To sum it all up why come on here and complain about a brand but buy three of them? You bought 2 in 2016 if Volvo is so bad then why buy one in 2021? So "more seriously I struggle to" understand your logic.
It was for his significant other who insisted on getting one. And it ended the same way that he had warned her ahead of time. (If I recall this correctly).

We have a 2017 that had over $20k in work done under the VIP warranty including a new long block engine (in addition to lots of warranty work). It never failed to start or get us to where we were going though. So... reliable...? Yes... I think.

My former 2020 was a nightmare and was taken back by the dealer and I was given a 2021 for it. The 2020 never failed to start though. So... reliable...? Yes... I think?

My current 2021 has had a host of issues...albeit relatively minor. It almost didn't start once (very long cranking and sputtering start one morning). But it eventually started and hasn't repeated that issue yet. So... reliable...? Yes...? Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
I think you guys are missing the bigger picture:

1. Toyota, Honda, etc all suffered from piston ring / consumption issues at one point. Similar to Volvo

2. Our repair stories (and multiple trips to dealer) are anecdotal and not reflective of a large slice of owners

3. I'm sure Lexus, Toyota, and Honda have all had issues to some degree, but repairs on "Mainstream Cars" are far less costly than Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, etc. So I am wondering if Consumer Reports is calculating repair costs in their survey. Clearly, it's going to cost far more to repair a Volvo than a Toyota.

4. Consumer reports should elaborate on their rankings, by posting their survey and an asterisk beside each vehicle on what the most common repairs / complaints were on that given brand. Without knowing the most common failures and the questions asked, it's very hard to judge if Toyota is "more reliable" and Volvo "less reliable"

21 - 40 of 83 Posts