SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Gotcha. I thought you meant the piston popped.
Oh no, been there done that. Put two nickel sized holes in two piston tops. Ran lean at 28psi. When I bought the car it “supposedly” had a “tune”. That’s after the rebuild I had it “tuned” That’s a POP you can feel. Lol. Put $9800 whole in the wallet as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Oh no, been there done that. Put two nickel sized holes in two piston tops. Ran lean at 28psi. When I bought the car it “supposedly” had a “tune”. That’s after the rebuild I had it “tuned” That’s a POP you can feel. Lol. Put $9800 whole in the wallet as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Could be carbon that came loose????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all the comments, to clear up some things. These plugs have been in the car doe about 10k miles +however long they have been in the car before I bought it. Yes I thought the porcelain broke off and bent it but the other plugs did not show signs of being beaten like that. I will most definitely have the problem later today on the way back from work so I will pull plugs and take a picture of what they look like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey guys, so the car ran fine today and I even put it under a little stress with a pull. What I’m going to do is take your advice and purchase some OEM Volvo sparkplugs, gap them properly and see if that will fix my problem. I do realize now that after so many miles that the chap plugs may have weakened, but with it happening to the new plugs still stumps me. I’m no mechanic but what I’ve heard is that the wrong type of fuel may cause pre-detonation or spark knock wich could be a concern. I will be getting the new plugs on Monday and follow up. If the problem arises again between now and then I will pull the plug and take a picture of it “real-time”. Thanks guys. Not many fourms I’ve been part of have been this responsive. If I could I’d give this Page 5 stars

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Hey guys, so the car ran fine today and I even put it under a little stress with a pull. What I’m going to do is take your advice and purchase some OEM Volvo sparkplugs, gap them properly and see if that will fix my problem. I do realize now that after so many miles that the chap plugs may have weakened, but with it happening to the new plugs still stumps me. I’m no mechanic but what I’ve heard is that the wrong type of fuel may cause pre-detonation or spark knock wich could be a concern. I will be getting the new plugs on Monday and follow up. If the problem arises again between now and then I will pull the plug and take a picture of it “real-time”. Thanks guys. Not many fourms I’ve been part of have been this responsive. If I could I’d give this Page 5 stars
We’ll except no less than 6....lol. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Also, what fuel are you using, octane/additives if any? What psi of boost? What if any performance mods have you done....FMIC upgrade, tune etc. What are the tempfeatures outside when this happened?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Also, what fuel are you using, octane/additives if any? What psi of boost? What if any performance mods have you done....FMIC upgrade, tune etc. What are the tempfeatures outside when this happened?
100% bone stock other than a muffler delete, I run regular because of prices being so expensive I topped it off with premium tonight. And it was probably 60*F

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
The Volvo plugs come pre-gapped, so you can just put them in.

Octane isn't your issue- 87 is just fine for your car.

Hopefully the cylinder walls aren't damaged at this point.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
100% bone stock other than a muffler delete, I run regular because of prices being so expensive I topped it off with premium tonight. And it was probably 60*F
You might be getting some detonation, poor gas, carbon build up, vacuum leak causing a lean condition. If, after you change the new plugs, and you have this issue still, try running a higher octane fuel for a tank or two and see if the issue persists. Detonation can cause the porcelain to break off. 87 is bare min. on boosted cars. If you are going to be in boost, spirited driving more often, I would strongly recommend running a higher octane fuel. If you have to run 87 then try to keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
The Volvo plugs come pre-gapped, so you can just put them in.

Octane isn't your issue- 87 is just fine for your car.

Hopefully the cylinder walls agent damaged at this point.
Uh, no.

87 is not ok.

Volvo recommends are least 91 and these cars will knock basically off idle on lesser fuel. I’ve seen it many times in tuning.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Uh, yes. 87 is fine. There is a difference between recommends and requires.

This isn't a car needing a tune. It's stock. On a stock car, 87 is absolutely fine. Octane is not his problem.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts

This isn't a car needing a tune. It's stock. On a stock car, 87 is absolutely fine. Octane is not his problem.
You should stop giving advice that can and will ruin engines.

Octane is very much a consideration job and probably an overlapping issue here.

You can do whatever you want on your own cars, but keep it there. This is an old school turbo car, with mileage. Carbon in the head gets hot spots and 87 these days is more like 80 with ethanol evaporation out ect. The t5 motors will literally knock off idle with lower octane.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts

The manual says “91 recommended” and “87 minimum”. That’s not leaving a lot of room for error? Hot day, hot spot in the cylinder.....That’s why I said that if the OP is gonna keep running 87 that he better keep the car out of boost. 60 degree day and a fair amount of boost on an on ramp and IATs are gonna creep up quick and then he wont have enough octane to cover the higher cylinder temps. Then plugs will be the least of his concerns. When running 87 he’s relying on the ECU to pull timing out in time to not punch a hole in a piston top.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Only time I've seen something like this (presuming the correct plug) is when a belt skipped. Which is inline w/what paradox... is saying.

No way that plug was bent w/o mechanical interference. And not on multiple plugs. Wrong plug, or skipped belt. I am not an expert on these engines, but this is not complicated/unusual to basic design/function on other engines.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Simply being an "old school turbo motor with mileage" doesnt mean it has to run high octane fuel or it will destroy spark plugs.

If you have an engine that is so carboned up it won't run right without high octane fuel, then the damage is done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Simply being an "old school turbo motor with mileage" doesnt mean it has to run high octane fuel or it will destroy spark plugs.

If you have an engine that is so carboned up it won't run right without high octane fuel, then the damage is done.
147k (low mileage in my book) but yes I’d say that’s high mileage. If you look in the sparkplug holes you can see the piston and holy cow. There’s a lot of carbon. So I should run premium if I hit boost quite often? (I like doing 3rd gear pulls on the side roads)

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
147k (low mileage in my book) but yes I’d say that’s high mileage. If you look in the sparkplug holes you can see the piston and holy cow. There’s a lot of carbon. So I should run premium if I hit boost quite often? (I like doing 3rd gear pulls on the side roads)
Always.

Reactions: Billsc70

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Short answer, Yes.

Reactions: Billsc70

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I also read that it could be a top piston ring that came apart and is going between cylinders (not sure how this would work but whatever) I’m going to throw that idea out the door because there is absolutely no weird “clanky, or knocking” noises. And I’m not 100% sure but if the belt skipped a tooth, wouldn’t it throw a code or have a hard start or run like garbage?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts