SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sons V50 has this clunking sound, he thought it was a 'engine knock', but when I drove it, seemed to be classic cv joint clunking.
I noticed the left side boot was bad and out of grease, so replaced it, but problem persisted. Then I checked right side cv joint, and it
seemed to be the issue, as shown in this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_D4Fc1G7Dw
the sound is kinda the same. So I replaced the right side axle (which is total pain btw, despite what people say, you can't remove it without undoing the hub,
and the ball joint will just not come apart without some special tool, so I finally ended up having to remove the lower control arm bolts to shift the hub out
to remove and install the new axle, spend 6 hours on the fcking job, which I blame on bad/incorrect procedures found on youtube. :angryfire: lol)

However, it does make this noise just sitting in the driveway without the car even moving, although not as loud as when moving, which kinda makes the cv joints seem
like it is not the issue. The noise is also related to speed, which goes back to cv axles. I actually shut off the engine and let it just roll, and the noise is the same,
so not engine related per se. I do notice in N or R, the sound goes away. I am thinking this is actually the exhaust banging against the floor maybe that simple?

I had my wife load and unload the engine, and the engine doesn't seem to move TOO much, it does move, but not like I've seen when engine mounts are bad.

My searching did not find anything the same as mine, particularly that the noise occurs without the car moving.
Any help appreciated, my son might lose confidence in my abilities if I can't fix his car! :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Probably the "front" engine mount, attached to the passenger-side fender. This is a pendulum style mount, and it allows the engine to move downwards when it fails. Even if the engine doesn't move under load, it's not in the right place. It can also "pivot" under load. This can increase the angle and wear on the CV joints too btw. Lots of threads here about it, and it's a simple replacement.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Is it an automatic or manual transmission. Sometimes the manual's clutch kit can make noise, especially if the dual-mass flywheel is going wearing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably the "front" engine mount, attached to the passenger-side fender. This is a pendulum style mount, and it allows the engine to move downwards when it fails. Even if the engine doesn't move under load, it's not in the right place. It can also "pivot" under load. This can increase the angle and wear on the CV joints too btw. Lots of threads here about it, and it's a simple replacement.
Searched on that, and it does seem like it might be the issue, and particularly as this seemed to start happening after he had overheating issues, which the plasitc tank was leaking for a while,
and that might have leaked the hot coolant on to it causing it to fail the rubber part. I will remove that mount and see if it is bad. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
But more importantly, did your family rep survive? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Save yourself the grief - autozone has this tool for rent for $30. It is what I use to pop my balljoints loose off the knuckles on the front. Needs a large wrench (15/16" or 24mm iirc) to turn but putting it on carefully and ensuring it doesnt pinch the boot means youll be in for a much easier process next go around.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6297-Ball-Joint-Separator/dp/B0015PN010

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
But more importantly, did your family rep survive? :rolleyes:
As far as I know, but it suffered worse on the water leak. Swapped radiator and it was worse...it was a hose. Swap hose, now radiator leaks. Swap old radiator back in, now it leaks (only hot with pressure).
I did a pressure test on the original one at 20psi, so I don't know why it would leak, however it is very small drip. Sigh. So ordered new radiator. Now son has less confidence I know what I'm doing. ;)
But then what seems like disaster today, since I kept his car to wait for radiator I drove it today, accelerated to pass car on freeway and started smoking, and a mile later was pouring smoke out the back like
a military smoke screen, pulled off highway, car died won't start. OH NO. Will make another thread on this issue.

Oh, and btw, I think maybe part of the issue with the rt side axle would not come out because the mount was bad, so the engine was sagging reducing space to get it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts