SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my dealer updated my software last week, I noticed that the AWD drive mode is now called Constant AWD. I wonder why, and does it affect performance?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is that on a T8? It’s possible that it delivers constant AWD, even tough it could also be just name change. I think that all Volvo AWDs are part time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
After my dealer updated my software last week, I noticed that the AWD drive mode is now called Constant AWD. I wonder why, and does it affect performance?
I have not noticed any functional or performance change. I believe it is only a name change by prepending "Constant" on my T8. This seemed to have been implemented in the Oct 2018 +/- timeframe. My update occurred in Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the Volvo Support site:

Constant AWD mode
activates all-wheel drive to increase traction and sets Electronic Stability Control to Sport mode. It is designed for use mainly at lower speeds in slippery driving conditions such as ice and snow. AWD is constantly available, even when the battery charge is depleted. This mode reduces fuel economy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Constant AWD mode
activates all-wheel drive to increase traction and sets Electronic Stability Control to Sport mode. It is designed for use mainly at lower speeds in slippery driving conditions such as ice and snow. AWD is constantly available, even when the battery charge is depleted. This mode reduces fuel economy.
That matches with my experience with the AWD mode, works quite well in balancing delivered torque to the axles when at low and moderate speeds. Sounds like just a rename.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe Volvos are front wheel drive until wheel spin is detected, which will activate all wheel drive

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I believe Volvos are front wheel drive until wheel spin is detected, which will activate all wheel drive
On a T8, I understand that is true for Hybrid mode.

If in Constant AWD, though, the generator is active 100% of the time to keep the hybrid battery charged (similar to Power mode) and both rear (electric) and front (ICE) are locked in for full-time AWD.

It could work differently on a non-T8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts