SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering replacing our 2004 Toyota Highlander with an XC90, and have found one that we like. At first glance, the deal seems great - CPO 2011 XC90 AWD, Magic Blue w/Beige interior, 11K miles offered at 31,000 as per the dealer website.

However, this is the sticky point: According to the CARFAX report, the vehicle was involved in an accident including airbag deployment.

The car was sold and maintained at the dealership, and they have all the service records. The vehicle is CPO, so I will assume all repairs were made to meet the CPO standards. I guess I want to make sure we ask all the right questions when we take a look at the vehicle (we've never bought used before, only new).

According to the CARFAX, the accident reported as:

Involving right rear impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Vehicle disabled
Vehicle towed

I will definitely be asking about particulars when we visit, but if anyone has any pointers they'd like to share, please feel free. Also, if you think we should just stay away from the vehicle altogether, don't hesitate to express that opinion as well. This isn't a decision we have to make right now, as our Highlander is in good shape and does not need to be replaced immediately. So, we can always wait.

Thanks to all! :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
We are considering replacing our 2004 Toyota Highlander with an XC90, and have found one that we like. At first glance, the deal seems great - CPO 2011 XC90 AWD, Magic Blue w/Beige interior, 11K miles offered at 31,000 as per the dealer website.

However, this is the sticky point: According to the CARFAX report, the vehicle was involved in an accident including airbag deployment.

The car was sold and maintained at the dealership, and they have all the service records. The vehicle is CPO, so I will assume all repairs were made to meet the CPO standards. I guess I want to make sure we ask all the right questions when we take a look at the vehicle (we've never bought used before, only new).

According to the CARFAX, the accident reported as:

Involving right rear impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Vehicle disabled
Vehicle towed

I will definitely be asking about particulars when we visit, but if anyone has any pointers they'd like to share, please feel free. Also, if you think we should just stay away from the vehicle altogether, don't hesitate to express that opinion as well. This isn't a decision we have to make right now, as our Highlander is in good shape and does not need to be replaced immediately. So, we can always wait.

Thanks to all! :)
I would pass on this one unless you know for sure the real extent of damage the vehicle sustained and to what level the repairs were completed to.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
At least have an independent shop and or body shop look it over with a fine tooth comb. Our S80, which was totaled earlier this year, didn't look so bad (rear damage), but when I found it in the body shop with the rear rails removed, with the plan to weld new ones back, in I pitched a fit and the car was totaled. In my mind there was no way our S80 would stand up to a crash the second time around the way it did when it came out of the factory.

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
I didn't think a Volvo would CPO a vehicle with a CarFax identified accident.

This would be worth exploring but if you can find a similarly equipped XC90 with a clean record, that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't think a Volvo would CPO a vehicle with a CarFax identified accident.

This would be worth exploring but if you can find a similarly equipped XC90 with a clean record, that would be the way to go.
Volvo will CPO a vehicle that's been in an accident, which (in theory) should give you some comfort as supposedly they are very careful about only CPOing cars that have had relatively light cosmetic damage. And while there's certainly plenty of room for slippage and dishonest dealing, I'm sure that VCNA's lawyers will be keeping a close eye on the certification of accident damaged cars as the liability could hurt a bit were something to go wrong, particularly with their safety reputation.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would pass on this vehicle.

CPO means nothing other than the car company met certain criteria, easily obtained from dealer. I consider CPO to be = do your due diligence and if something comes up, then they will fix it. BMW is the same way

Do a PPI from an indy ?

Drive it for longer than one drive.

Use autocheck, carfax is a wash.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
i was at the dealer a few weeks ago for an oil change and I think the MSRP of a new 12 is about 44-46 for a nicely equipped one. i think there should be about 4-5 easy negotiation on a 12 and probably a nice low interest rate. when you add it all up, it wont be much more than the 31k rebuilt one.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would pass on this vehicle.

CPO means nothing other than the car company met certain criteria, easily obtained from dealer. I consider CPO to be = do your due diligence and if something comes up, then they will fix it. BMW is the same way

Do a PPI from an indy ?

Drive it for longer than one drive.

Use autocheck, carfax is a wash.
I would pass on it too, just because I am very wary of any front end damage on a vehicle that has so much technology up front just inches behind that plastic front bumper. It may not be crabbing down the road, but misalignment issues due to a bent structure would not show up until tire replacement time, and the XC90 alrady has its fair share of front end popping sounds even when you buy a new one. We found a 30,000+ mile car for around $26K and it drives like a new one. They're out there, I would keep looking.

best,

P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts