SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering to buy 2004 or 2005 XC90 - need advice...

I live in Denver area and considering to buy a 2004 or 2005 (or 2003) XC90. I am thinking I should stay away from 2003 - since it is the first year for this vehicle. However, I would like to get your input and advice of what to look for and what to stay away from. <p>I would like to buy a XC90 with around 50K miles on it and be able to put another relatively trouble free 100K on it. I used to drive a 1987 Volvo 740 GLE in high school with a ton of miles on it, and I hope the XC90 can deliver the same.<p>I like the T6 engine power. And it does not really matter whether it's 5 or 7 passenger model. I would like to have the turbo engines, but still looking for feedback... Which engine is more reliable, etc? All options are on the table...<p>Also, the couple of cars I looked at already had rusty lug nuts. What's the deal with that?<p>I really appreciate your input!<p>Andre.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by 2fastdre at 10:26 PM 7-21-2009</i>

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Considering to buy 2004 or 2005 XC90 - need advice... (2fastdre)

Both 04 and 05 2.5T are reliable. Stay away from T6. Its 4-sp transmission is prone to failures.<br>2.5T is turbo, and delivers rather surprising performance. However, go for 05 V8, if you like power.<p>Do not worry about lug nuts, it is just a cosmetic defect.<p>2.5T has been around for quite a while and is very reliable. V8 is newer, but has a good reliability record so far.<p>Rather than the weak T6 transmission, there is no any known major issues with XC90. I had 04 2.5T AWD 7-seat, and put 85K trouble-free miles on it, before the accident, where it was totaled. Got 05 V8 with 50K using settlement money. This one feels like a brand new car. <p>So - my 1st choice would be 2.5T if you are "mellow", but you may go with V8 - if you need power.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: Considering to buy 2004 or 2005 XC90 - need advice... (gascos80)

T6 - no<br>2.5T - turbo - better at rarified air that you are at<br>v8 - lose some power but still way more than the 2.5 t<br>2.5T chipped - hmmmmmm<p>lug nuts rusted on 02-04, there was a dealer change for free if pointed out to them. new lugs starting 05 were ok<p>bevel gear seems to be an issue, read some of the recent threads<p>front suspension has issues till about 06, did it really go away, i don't know<p>06 onwards has the precharged awd, makes a difference as I think you will be in snow.<br>There was a difference for me when I drove/lived in heavy snow areas (ie upstate NY, more than CO I think)

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Considering to buy 2004 or 2005 XC90 - need advice... (obiwan)

05 V8 has pre-charged AWD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the feedback, so far! I am thinking 2.5T would be enough power. I will have to test drive this engine. Only test-drove T6 so far.<p>Also - what does it mean "pre-charged AWD" ?<p>Thanks again,<br>Andre.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>2fastdre</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the feedback, so far! I am thinking 2.5T would be enough power. I will have to test drive this engine. Only test-drove T6 so far.<p>Also - what does it mean "pre-charged AWD" ?<p>Thanks again,<br>Andre.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>On pre-V8 AWD, the rear wheels kick-in when front wheels spin for about 1/7th of revolution, because of time it takes to build the pressure in viscous coupling, when spin is detected.<p>On V8 and other models starting with MY06 (adapting V8 version of Haldex AWD), the rear wheels are engaged to some degree right away, because some pressure is always applied (pre-charged).<p>I owned both styles, and yes, you can feel the initial jerk in older systems, but I do not think it really matters, because the rear wheels are getting engaged before you even react. Just calculate how long does it take to rotate 1/7th of revolution, and you'll see why it is not critical.<p>The older AWD shoud serve you just fine.<p>My preference is 2.5T. It is MUCH more frugal (15-20% in my case) than V8.<p>I got used V8 only because I cound not find ANY OTHER non-T6 AWD in So Cal., and I needed the replacement car ASAP and wanted AWD.

·
Registered
827 Posts

<p>Our 2.5 has been trouble free so far (42k). We didnt need a v8 car just to haul the family around, and<br>already had a V8 diesel in the F350

·
Registered
371 Posts
We have a 2005 V8, had it since June 2005 (just over 40,000 miles) and have been quite happy with it. Only problems we've had were some sensor failures during warranty period and the handful of recalls then we had the bevel gear go out 6 weeks after warranty ended. Mileage-wise, I think our V8 gets better highway mileage than the 2.5. I think city mileage is close to a wash between the two. The XC90 is a heavy car so the 2.5 has to work considerably harder to move the vehicle than the V8. At your altitude, the 2.5's turbo may make it a better performer than the V8.<p>Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Considering to buy 2004 or 2005 XC90 - need advice... (tomjoswiak)

Thank you for all the responses so far. I will update you as my search continues.<p>One more follow-up: what major services should I be asking about when looking: 45K, 60K or ? I want to make sure some major service item is not overlooked.<p>Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

Nothing really important till 120K, when timing belt needs to be replaced.<p>Bring a car to the reputable shop after the purchase, let them inspect all fluids (oils and antifreeze) and spark plugs, add/replace, if needed. And after that start the regular maintenance schedule acoording your odometer.<p><A HREF="https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/2005/2005_maintenance/2005_maintenance.html" TARGET="_blank">https://www.customers.volvocar....html</A><p>

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just purchased an 06 2.5T and have really enjoyed it the past 3 weeks we have had it. We have already taken it on a 400+ mile beach trip and averaged 23 mpg for the total trip (almost all hwy). The power is plenty for my wife seeing how this is her primary vehicle and gave me a slight grin when test driving as I did not expect the torque to be as apparent. So far we are very happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts