SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, havent posted in a long time. Been very content with my 2013 XC70T6.

However, after 15 or so years of driving wagons, I am considering a bigger vehicle.

My concern is the engine. I use my vehicles. I load it up, routinely tow 2-4K and put a lot of miles each year.

What is everyone’s consensus on power? Climbing hills? Altitude? Towing capabilities?

I would opt for polestar. Not interested in T8.

Otherwise, I’ve test driven several other brands ranging from the new Kia Telluride all the way up the the Mercedes GL550. The Kia was surprisingly nice, but wimpy at 291hp. Mercedes, well whats to say... it’s a Mercedes. Volvo has spoiled me all these years, so brand loyalty keeps me leaning back towards the XC90.

Would appreciate your candid responses. Thanks in advance. Alternate contacts if preferred: [email protected] or 602.770.6581

Greg

·
Registered
187 Posts
https://www.dodge.com/durango/srt.html

I like our xc90 but is, really a sportwagon, not a SUV, IMHO. If you are towing/hauling, I would rec a SUV built to suit. I would rec you test drive a Durango, which may sound crazy, but you may be surprised.

Are you going to offroad at all? snow?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Very little exposure to snow, at least right now. Funny you mention dodge, it is on my consideration list. Not off roading, but in and out of beaches with jet skis.
View attachment 53631

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
What road you drive also matters. Towing 4k load on flat road should be fine. If going up hills every trip, I would get a real truck.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got rid of a Citadel in favour of an XC90. Citadel was cumbersome but it did have load levelling so might be worth a look. We didn’t tow anything other than bikes in a hitch carrier.

There are a few posts here of people that tow with the XC90 and have no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
https://www.dodge.com/durango/srt.html

I like our xc90 but is, really a sportwagon, not a SUV, IMHO. If you are towing/hauling, I would rec a SUV built to suit. I would rec you test drive a Durango, which may sound crazy, but you may be surprised.
+1
YouTube's "Alex on Autos" auto reviewer bought a Durango precisely for towing I believe. Checkout his video:
https://youtu.be/NVCkZq5CqdU .
Alex IMO is the best reviewer out there: objective, detailed, comprehensive, comparative, driving tests, and technology. I recommend checking out his reviews of SUVs you're considering. I bought two cars in no small part to his reviews. (And yes, Alex thinks the XC90 is best in class!)
Regarding discounting the T8, despite it having the most HP of the XC90s (400HP), I think of it as a T6 with more HPs. Driving the T8 in Power Mode is too much fun, and probably is put to safer use in towing. Definitely recommend test driving a T8 if you can find a dealer who will let you drive it fast, which might be the best way of assessing power without actually towing something during the test drive.

Here's hoping the XC90 still meets your needs! Please let us know what you decide.

EDIT: Here's Alex's XC90T8 review.
https://youtu.be/Gj8JAYa-LfI

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I would get an XC90 all over again. I have not missed my 4Runner Sport at all. The XC90’s engine is just fine with no issues. I have a T8 and would get it again but you may be surprised, but Polestar T6 would be fine too

If flexibility in towing is a major factor, then getting a Stealth Hitch would be a good idea - raising max towing from 5000# to 6000#. Of course, I would get air suspension.

If you want a luxury car that can tow a moderate amount, an XC90 T6 (or T8) can fill the bill with no regrets.

If towing is more important than anything else, then get a truck. I owned a Chevy 1500 Z71 which could tow, but my family wouldn’t ride in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
440 Posts
We have a T5 XC40 and I like the turbo four in that vehicle because it’s not too big. It’s unfortunate that Volvo doesn’t offer a six cylinder in its bigger vehicles and adds complexity to their fours to get more power.

We also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi V8 and use that for towing. It tows our 16 foot box trailer when full effortlessly. It has 126,000 miles on it and it’s been a great vehicle. We have many years of life left in it so we won’t need to upgrade anytime soon, but I’ll be interested to see how the T6 engine lasts with more years and miles on it.

A Durango with the V8 would be a great tow vehicle and I’d love to have a GLS550 and drive a V8 instead of a four in the XC90.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe look at an X5 50i or even 40i. I would be a bit reluctant about putting that much stress on a 4 cylinder. Even so, I have a friend that tows their boat to the marina each weekend with a T5 XC40 and with people in the car, so an XC90 may not be out of the question.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree that perhaps a real truck is more what you need for towing. Perhaps your will be sad to find out what those trucks can cost when you fully load them these days! I heard recently that a GM truck MSRP went above $100K!

As for a Durango, I owned one and would never by another Chrysler product after that and I was a loyal Chrysler customer. I got tired of having them rebuild all 4 electric motors in every door every year, and having to totally rebuild the AC system every year! Thankfully I had an extended warranty on it. I dumped it as soon as the extended warranty expired. The guy that bought it was moving to Alaska and did not care if the windows moved or it had AC. The drive train was perfect for his towing needs in snow up in the land of the Midnight Sun.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't recall threads talking about the XC90 being poor at towing; so I have no idea why everyone is dismissing it.
For lighter loads like OP is claiming he'll tow, it'd be more than adequate.

If you were talking 30' Airstream or a Chris-craft boat, yeah, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree that perhaps a real truck is more what you need for towing. Perhaps your will be sad to find out what those trucks can cost when you fully load them these days! I heard recently that a GM truck MSRP went above $100K!

As for a Durango, I owned one and would never by another Chrysler product after that and I was a loyal Chrysler customer. I got tired of having them rebuild all 4 electric motors in every door every year, and having to totally rebuild the AC system every year! Thankfully I had an extended warranty on it. I dumped it as soon as the extended warranty expired. The guy that bought it was moving to Alaska and did not care if the windows moved or it had AC. The drive train was perfect for his towing needs in snow up in the land of the Midnight Sun.
Not sure what year durango you had but the currents are reliable. At least if not more than volvo. My '16 has 40K on the brakes and dealer says they still look great. No issues in 3 yrs

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
get the Kia, it sounds like the car you need.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hoping there will be engine options for next year. If so I may just do that! It is a nice vehicle, just a tad underpowered as is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts