SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listed at 2500 but the gentleman has since dropped the price down to 1500 because he need the money to put towards his new vehicle he is planning to purchase. I will be heading over this week(45min drive away) to have a good look, test drive, scan with VIDA, the works. Are there any common issues I should know about prior to this meeting? I plan to use the vehicle as a daily as my S60R is a few months away from getting build motor and large turbo installed. In time I would be interested in possible upgrades to include a larger turbo(nothing like whats going into the SR) but a bigger OEM turbo with supporting mods. Any help or suggestions you folks may have is greatly appreciated! Have a good day!

-Grove, Bryson D.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I had a 2002 and my son presently has a 2001. The 2003-2004 have some nice improvements in styling and 10 extra HP.

Fuel pressure regulator - located on fuel rail. Tends to fail and leak fuel through vacuum hose. The vacuum hose tends to get hard, crack and leak.
Idle air control valve - near fuel pressure reg. Often just need cleaning.

As with any car with age and miles, check coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, suspension.

VIDA/DICE takes longer to read these cars and may give an error message. I just ignore it and it seems to read the car just fine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Great car. The only weak spots in my mind are the handbrake mechanism and the rear springs which are prone to braking.

Be sure that the HB locks both rear wheels AND that it fully releases both too. You can verify this by looking under car before and after to verify that the cable end rests against the stopper.

Take a look to verify both springs (rear) are in decent shape.

As with the S60/V70 series, the PCV must be serviced. I’m guessing it’s overdue

If you are in the rust belt be sure to inspect the brake lines and fuel lines in near the fuel filter. They are covered by a plastic access cover but snow/salt seems to collect there.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still love mine.

Check the front hose connecting radiator to thermostat and overflow, that's prone to failing and you might see some coolant leaks there. If the VVT gear hasnt't been done, check under the cover for oil on the belt. Idle air control valve hose if never replaced is probably rock hard and cracked or about to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 S40 1.9t right now... maybe you can help me.

I had a 2002 and my son presently has a 2001. The 2003-2004 have some nice improvements in styling and 10 extra HP.

Fuel pressure regulator - located on fuel rail. Tends to fail and leak fuel through vacuum hose. The vacuum hose tends to get hard, crack and leak.
Idle air control valve - near fuel pressure reg. Often just need cleaning.

As with any car with age and miles, check coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, suspension.

VIDA/DICE takes longer to read these cars and may give an error message. I just ignore it and it seems to read the car just fine.
Hey, I was wondering if you know what the compression should read in psi on this motor? I have seen many different numbers. Currently I'm at 120psi on all 4. Just wondering if it's too low? Seems to run and drive fine. Thanks for any input you can give me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2004 LSE. Taken care of, it has been a great vehicle for me. It is being passed down to my GF's son for his daily driver.

Only thing that I would stress, is to make sure of "When" the timing belt has been changed. If it has not, do it soon.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
+1 on the timing belt. My son's 2001 had only 66K miles when he bought it three years ago. Last year I replaced the original 17 year old belt and it was scary to see how rotted it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts