SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My current car is a Lexus IS250 and I've lately been wanting something with more space and practicality, but I'm hoping to give up as little driving pleasure as possible.

I'd get the R-design but honestly even a decent T6 is at the top of my budget.

I have a few questions about options and the car in general:

1) Dynamic package - The T6 standard suspension is sufficiently firm for me and I'm not concerned with having a "comfort" mode at all. Does the Dynamic package give the T6 a sportier feel than standard, especially through the steering?

2) AWD Bevel gear - I remember reading about issues with Volvo's AWD system regarding the bevel gear. Still a problem?

3) Audio upgrades - For $40k I was not at all impressed with the base radio, and I have to buy the top end T6 to get an upgrade. Has anyone made good upgrades to the base radio going aftermarket? Is the problem the speaker quality, the amp... ?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Stephen

·
Registered
837 Posts
The XC60 is so new there haven't been too many reliability issues reported. I believe the AWD is different design so no reports of Bevel gear issues that I've seen. I'm not much more impressed with the "premium" radio so I can imagine the base radio is nothing special. I have seen at least one thread on here with an audio upgrade if you do a search, etc. Dynamic package is a tough one as I don't think many people have the package. I can say that if it were available on the R-Design, I probably would have ordered it even w/o testing it. A couple of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4y212cQKYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9Pn5nhCXs <== not sure exactly what this one is trying to tell us, but it is fun to watch

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello all,

My current car is a Lexus IS250 and I've lately been wanting something with more space and practicality, but I'm hoping to give up as little driving pleasure as possible.

I'd get the R-design but honestly even a decent T6 is at the top of my budget.

I have a few questions about options and the car in general:

1) Dynamic package - The T6 standard suspension is sufficiently firm for me and I'm not concerned with having a "comfort" mode at all. Does the Dynamic package give the T6 a sportier feel than standard, especially through the steering?

2) AWD Bevel gear - I remember reading about issues with Volvo's AWD system regarding the bevel gear. Still a problem?

3) Audio upgrades - For $40k I was not at all impressed with the base radio, and I have to buy the top end T6 to get an upgrade. Has anyone made good upgrades to the base radio going aftermarket? Is the problem the speaker quality, the amp... ?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Stephen
I have an MY12 XC60 T6 with 4C, ordered as part of the Dynamic Package.

For the first 2500 miles, I considered it among the most useless, overpriced options I've ever bought. I couldn't detect any change in suspension among the three modes -- none at all. And I was disappointed that none of the modes seemed to change the throttle mapping or AT shift points, as the owner's manual hinted it did.

Now, at 5000 miles, my attitude has changed somewhat. I've gotten to know the car better, and there are definite if subtle changes among the three modes. Over broken, potholed pavement like we have in Boston, Comfort mode will suppress some impact harshness in return for a 1976 Buick-like floatiness. (My wife drives the car in Comfort all the time. Apparently, it's the chick setting).

Advanced is clearly different from Comfort. Impact harshness returns in full force -- this must be the harshness in ride that Consumer Reports complains about across the Volvo line -- but I am not sure I would say that the vehicle corners any flatter as a result. Steering is as slow as ever but if you took the right drugs, you could convince yourself it was a smidgen faster.

Sport mode combines a little of the float of Comfort with some more impact harshness of Advanced.

So, my initial impression that 4C was doing nothing at all was wrong. Now, my feedback has improved to 4C does nothing useful at all. But, if you order via OSD and go for a light wood panel on the console (the only way to get light wood in an MY12), you do get three extra buttons to push and three additional indicator lights to impress your friends with.

4C is like the amplifier in "Spinal Tap:" it makes the car go to 11.

·
Registered
837 Posts
yobyot - thanks for the review on 4c. Disappointing that there isn't more of a positive difference between the three settings. Ideally, comfort would be somewhat floaty but isolate you from all but the biggest bumps and impact harshness, whiel advanced would be a classic "track mode" (smooth roads only need apply) - with "right now" taughtness and roll control - sport would split the difference. It sounds like it was INTENDED to do just that, but may not do it very well. As an aside, I find that while folks claim to like "sporty" suspensions, when they get these adjustable setups (BMWS, Vettes, Volvos, whatever), most end up in the equivalent of comfort mode most of the time since most of us are relegated to daily commuting in our cars as opposed to autobahn or track antics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The base stereo IMHO is horrific. The ONLY reason I got the platinum package was to get the upgrade sound system. If I couldn't' have gone that way, I wouldn't have bought the car; sound is very important to me. I felt that I could not do an aftermarket job that was sufficient do the lack of a center speaker.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
It's a shame to hear the XC60's 4C is so disappointing. On my S60R, it's quite useful and I can definitely tell the difference between comfort and advanced--but then again, it's intended for a different audience. One nice feature that has surfaced from it, and this might be useful for XC60 driver's with 4C, is to put the car in sport or advanced when it gets really windy on the freeway. Has kept my R extremely stable when other drivers are clearly having to put way more effort into their driving than necessary (and even swerving rather dangerously).

As far as the stereo system is concerned, I'd guess it's mostly the quality of the speakers, then the amp probably doesn't put out much power so the system is sorta blah.

·
Administrator
55,890 Posts
Definitely upgrade to the Premium audio. The R-Design is a nice package, if you can find a low-mileage 2012 CPO offer, that may help save a few dollars versus a new RD. I think 4C is something you need to drive and drive. On our long-term S60, there was a difference but not *that* much for my personal tastes. For advanced I'd want it much stiffer. As Jexx mentioned the '04-'07 Rs were calibrated a little differently and they were different cars.

I like the combined backup camera and audible tone as you get close to an object.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an MY12 XC60 T6 with 4C, ordered as part of the Dynamic Package.

For the first 2500 miles, I considered it among the most useless, overpriced options I've ever bought. I couldn't detect any change in suspension among the three modes -- none at all. And I was disappointed that none of the modes seemed to change the throttle mapping or AT shift points, as the owner's manual hinted it did.

Now, at 5000 miles, my attitude has changed somewhat. I've gotten to know the car better, and there are definite if subtle changes among the three modes. Over broken, potholed pavement like we have in Boston, Comfort mode will suppress some impact harshness in return for a 1976 Buick-like floatiness. (My wife drives the car in Comfort all the time. Apparently, it's the chick setting).

Advanced is clearly different from Comfort. Impact harshness returns in full force -- this must be the harshness in ride that Consumer Reports complains about across the Volvo line -- but I am not sure I would say that the vehicle corners any flatter as a result. Steering is as slow as ever but if you took the right drugs, you could convince yourself it was a smidgen faster.

Sport mode combines a little of the float of Comfort with some more impact harshness of Advanced.

So, my initial impression that 4C was doing nothing at all was wrong. Now, my feedback has improved to 4C does nothing useful at all. But, if you order via OSD and go for a light wood panel on the console (the only way to get light wood in an MY12), you do get three extra buttons to push and three additional indicator lights to impress your friends with.

4C is like the amplifier in "Spinal Tap:" it makes the car go to 11.
I agree, I have the 4C on my 12 xc 60 as well and I LOVE IT. My background are more of what you'd call "import nights". I used to have a 2003 supercharged stage 1 hyundai tiburon with I/H/E and boy was it harsh on the road.

In advanced setting with "M" mode it was just like the glorious days, forget about having passengers in your car, you might as well send them to 6 flags. I could feel the road. SERIOUSLY.

Now, when my girlfriend drives the car, she prefers Comfort. and now she is changing into "sport" for city DD.

Now about your driving pleasure, sport is a good enough mode that you'd expect... bc from my understanding thats what the regular t-6 comes with.
Also rumor has it that the R-Design suspension is even harsher than advanced setting.

All in all... 4C is totally worth it bc it gives you the option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tech Package rocks. Just got back from the overseas delivery program and had cruise control set to 110 (autobahn) when traffic came to a halt due to some road construction. The adaptive cruise control went from 110 to about 25 with me not really having to do much of anything. I was really hesitant to pay for this upgrade, but probably my fav feature about the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tech Package rocks. Just got back from the overseas delivery program and had cruise control set to 110 (autobahn) when traffic came to a halt due to some road construction. The adaptive cruise control went from 110 to about 25 with me not really having to do much of anything. I was really hesitant to pay for this upgrade, but probably my fav feature about the car.
I have to agree with this. Since we had to drive our new XC60 about 550 miles from the dealership we purchased the vehicle at, I had a lot of time to try this feature. It was fabulous! However, I was sleepy driving, so, it did make me a bit sleepier since I didn't have to do all that much. That's where the lane departure warning came in extra handy. We also got dynamic and I can definitely tell a difference in the comfort mode vs. the XC60 we drove that didn't have this option. It rides much smoother. My mom was riding in the back the other day (first back seat passenger) and she said she didn't feel a bump.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just bought my MY 10 R-design and paid what most people are paying for their base T6's (Loaded with everyhing, paid under 30k with 25k miles). If you look around the deals are out there.

I bought the RD because I found the 4C to be completely useless in test driving, considering the RD has a stiffer chassis, stiffer suspension than the T6 in advanced mode, and the 20" wheels with smaller profile tires for handling. I was coming from a G35 with 12k/10k coilovers maxxed out on stiffness and lowness, so there was no way I was even considering something that couldnt take a few turns.

I have really enjoyed the upgrade to the MY10 RD over the more base models because of the Dynaudio Radio (which is better than the Sensus Radio with my guitar-player audiophile ears), separate nav and radio controls, and the upgraded looks and stance with the 20's. Plus the Passion Red (read: Fire Truck Red) is only available in the RD.

If you are looking for comfort, just buy the base T6 without the 4C, and find one with the upgraded audio (Dynaudio), which is with the tech package(?). In these cars LOADED is the way to go, then you find what engine you can afford, and whether you can upgrade to the RD. I didn't think I could, but I did after only 2 weeks of looking!

As far as reliability goes, they were out in Europe for the 08 and 09 MY, so they got the kinks out before shipping them here, the only thing that changed was the engine, and the volvo T6 has been one of the top 10 engines in the nation for YEARS, nothing to worry about there!

PM with questions,

Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts